Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: remaster 5.0.1 KDE login prompt issue

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1

    remaster 5.0.1 KDE login prompt issue

    Hello all,

    I've just finished (almost) remastering Knoppix 5.0.1 and cant seem to figure this one out.

    Like so many others, I mostly followed the guide at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto, but I wanted to strip down the image quite a bit, and found a tip on another site to use the synaptic package manager from my chroot'd environment.

    This worked out quite well, but I noticed that when I removed certain packages, it forced others to install. (Sorry, I'm long time redhat /rpm / yum user, but a total noob with apt-get). So, I suspect that one of the "forced" upgrades/installs messed up the startup scripts somewhere.

    My problem now is that when I boot from my iso and X starts, I now get the KDE login window instead of going straight in to the desktop.

    I've googled until my eyes hurt, and have checked all of the usual suspects (inittab, xdmrc, 45xsession, etc) and can't seem to find what is causing my issue.

    Any help will. be greatly appreciated

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    Re: remaster 5.0.1 KDE login prompt issue

    Quote Originally Posted by jammendolia
    This worked out quite well, but I noticed that when I removed certain packages, it forced others to install.

    ---

    My problem now is that when I boot from my iso and X starts, I now get the KDE login window instead of going straight in to the desktop.

    I've googled until my eyes hurt, and have checked all of the usual suspects (inittab, xdmrc, 45xsession, etc) and can't seem to find what is causing my issue.
    First question:
    Add in /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg line
    force-overwrite

    I have used it successfully all the time. Only once I remember I had toubles (installing new kernel and cloop module had same files). You can reinstall corrupted package any time by 'apt-get install --reinstall package_name'. But in 99 % you don't have any troubles if adding force-overwrite.

    Second question.
    Do you have /etc/init.d/xsession file? It starts X (same as 'init 5').

    -tapsa-

Similar Threads

  1. How to get login prompt in Knoppix-style install?
    By thors_hammer123 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 06:50 PM
  2. remaster with greeter login and passwords?
    By flashfyre in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 05:55 AM
  3. login prompt at bootup....HELP !!
    By newbie_remaster in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 01:40 AM
  4. Howto Get KDE login prompt at boot?
    By erp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 02:26 AM
  5. newbie question login prompt
    By hololi in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-27-2003, 03:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$250.00



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00