Hi,
I booted knoppix on a Biostar TForce 550 motherboard with an onboard Marvell 88e1116 PHY gigabit ethernet nic and a PCI realtek RTL8169 S-32 card.
I had to add the following on the boot command line:
knoppix noapic (or acpi=noirq)
otherwise the screen would remain black and the system would not boot.
The realtek RTL8169 S-32 PCI card would have its LEDs blinking while booting but they suddenly stopped when the boot process reached "Starting udev hotplug hardware detection".
Anyway, neither one of the nics work. However, if I use older 3com cards I have network access.
I've had the exact same problem using the Gentoo distribution on the same machine. Details are in this forum post (please have a look at it as it contains more details):
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...+ethernet.html
Both chips seem to be "supported" by the linux kernel. Is it true?
Is it a udev version problem?
How can I solve this?

Vintage LOT 1980s Rainbow Apple Computer Sticker/Decal - 21
$49.99
Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo
$299.00
Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition
$199.99
Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Vintage IBM ThinkPad 760C Type 9546 Laptop 1995 Retro Computing TESTED Working
$125.00
• Authentic TUMI 96081D4 Black Leather Daypack Travel Laptop Backpack - Vintage
$175.00
VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8
$34.95
Vintage Intel iPDS-100 Personal Development System
$1499.99
Vintage KanguruDisk Portable External Drive Module with Pouch - Rare Retro Drive
$114.88