To add to the confusion: This is written with the same setup, at another place, with another ISP and another ADSL router (Zyxel Prestige 660H-T3 vs 3Com Office Connect). Now Firefox and Konqueror both find their way around.
I run the 5.0.1, knoppix tescd reports everything seems ok, network connection is up, I can ping anywhere, but neither Konqueror nor Firefox is able to establish connections. Tried hinting at explicit nameservers by issuingas root, giving a proven nameserver IP, dosn't help.Code:echo 'nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx >> /etc/resolv.conf'
Tried also hard disk install, then nothing was configured in network. Using a Dell Inspiron 510m, never had problems like this before. Any suggestions?
Edit: When I run Damn Small Linux 3.0.1, booting and running from a USB stick, everything works...
To add to the confusion: This is written with the same setup, at another place, with another ISP and another ADSL router (Zyxel Prestige 660H-T3 vs 3Com Office Connect). Now Firefox and Konqueror both find their way around.
I have not worked with either of the routers you mention. I did have one router (a Belkin 802.11b) that failed to do a DHCP handshake properly and I had to do the netcardconfig manually.
When you say you can ping, are you pinging by ip address or by url? If you can ping 72.36.188.40 but can't ping knoppix.net then you have a DNS issue. If you can ping either then DNS is working fine.
On more than one occasion a user here has reported that the fix to a problem like yours was as simple as powering the router off and back on, or sometimes people have reset the router and the problem went away. Your results may vary.
I could ping both ways, so there was no general DNS lookup failure involved. And there was no general failure in the router, as both DSL 3.0.1 (from USB-stick) and Mandriva2006 (from disk) on the same machine, with no network switching, worked perfectly. It happened at last boot also on this machine I am using right now (an Asus A3Hf, with the same Zyxel router), so there must be some underlying problems.

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened
$195.00
NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$14.86
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
~NIB~ Netgear GS728TPP-300NAS V3 24 PORT GIGABIT POE MNGD W. 4 SFP PORTS
$349.95