Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Live CD<->DVD

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    31

    Live CD<->DVD

    I looked at the info about the latest release, 5.0.1, but the different site don't mention what the differences are between the Live CD and the Live DVD.
    Also I looked at a some Belgian download mirror sites and I am puzzled now.
    The Live CD is consistently 696MB, but the Live DVD goes from 70 bytes to some 300MB.
    In the forum here I have seen references of the DVD being 3GB or even 4GB.

    Can someone explain (or point to a site) the difference between Live CD-DVD?
    In case my needs are for the DVD where can I find this huge file?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Use the mirrors to get package lists if you want them; they are on the mirrors for both the cd and dvd. Avoid the mirrors for downloading; use BitTorrent. The 5.0.1 iso is a little over 4 gigs in size.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    31
    Thank you, Harry Kukman.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Live CD<->DVD

    Quote Originally Posted by Béèm
    In case my needs are for the DVD where can I find this huge file?
    If you haven't seen the package lists it's not at all clear how you know your needs are for the DVD, but use the Get Knoppix link near the top of this page and use BitTorrent, not the mirrors, to get the ISO. Read the Downloading FAQ if you need more details.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    31
    Sorry about the h mistyped as k in your name.
    On one of the mirrors I found two txt files with the packages info of the CD and DVD
    The one for CD has 1320 lines (one line per package) and the one for DVD 4884.

    Do I understand that basically what the installation of the OS is concerned both are equal, but that the DVD just contains more packages to install and thus avoiding to go on a package repository online?

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Béèm
    ....Do I understand that basically what the installation of the OS is concerned both are equal....
    If you're even thinking about installing either you're asking the wrong person. I consider that a huge mistake. See answer #2. Install Debian, or some other distro intended for hard disk and not plagued with problems caused by installing a Live CD/DVD.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    31
    Maybe I expressed myself not clearly.
    The question was general, not to one person.
    I did browse through the faq's and didn't find an answer.
    As the tittle indicates, it's about using the Live CD or the Live DVD and I wanted to know what the difference is between the two.

    In the mean time I downloaded the Live CD and I am working with it right now and posting with it.

    I surely will have more questions and I'll ask them only if I don't find the answer elsewhere.

    I hope I'll get better answers then.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    2
    [quote="Béèm"]
    it's about using the Live CD or the Live DVD and I wanted to know what the difference is between the two.
    quote]

    Hello Beem,
    Live Cd or LIVE DVD, both comes under same catogory. The major difference is, in LIVE Knoppix DVD you get all softwares,games,editing tools, various versions from various vendors and blah blah..Huge...Knoppix LIVE DVD is damn
    cool ..LIVE Knoppix DVD version 5.0.x includes Eclipse and other sofwtare developement core tools. Much appriciable. It was an unexpected moment for me....Now i only use Knoppix LIVE DVD in to my computer. But i am still not able to understand how to install Knoppix LIVE DVD 5.0.x on hard disk drive? I went through DVD instalalation topic at this forum site, but most users r asking about erros solutions. I am eager to know how to install Knoppix on hard disk drive .....

    Regard's,
    Amey Abhyankar.

Similar Threads

  1. live CD and live DVD wont fit
    By alan4100 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 12:16 AM
  2. SB Live no sound with 4.0.2 live CD; SMP kernel's fault?
    By fwheeler_1 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 05:58 PM
  3. Whats the difference between a Live CD and a live DVD?
    By bokaroseani in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 09:35 PM
  4. Live Mac on pc
    By adamherb in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-24-2005, 08:38 PM
  5. Live CDs
    By dhough in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 09:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00