Answer #6.Originally Posted by lorddane
alright...here's the low-down:
A few months ago I accidentally destroied my Dell PC, it took some time but I built myself a new computer and everything functions correctly.
I pulled the HD from the Dell and set it up as an extra HD on the new PC, put there was a problem, I couldn't access the Dell's "my Documents" folder because I did not have the correct admin setup. So whenever I looked at the folder's properties it said "size=0kb, 0 folders, ect." as though it didn't exist. Of course the information was just locked away, after two and a half months of gathering data I came across knoppix. After putting to CD and making it a bootable disk I finally could access the folder again, but there is one problem: I can't transfer the files.
I am aware that it's unlikely I can safely transfer the contents of the folder to another HD, so I attempted to send it to my pocket USB drive, but every time I tried to copy it to the drive it said:
the drive is set to allow any one to write to it, but for some reason I can't, I even made a copy of the file on the desktop and tried the transfer from there, but it didn't work.Colud not write to /media/sdc1/Chess m.2 v1.0.mus.
Can anyone help me out of this dilema?
For any one concerned about my trying to do something illegal, I am not. ".mus" files are files associated with the music writing software "Finale" and this particular document happens to be a particularly good song I wrote.
Answer #6.Originally Posted by lorddane
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
The transfer was to a USB drive and the drive had already been mounted and set up as writeable
That is very strange, it has always worked for me if I follow the instructions to make the device writeable. I can only offer two additional thoughts, and they are both longshots:Originally Posted by lorddane
- 1) Is by any chance this flash drive one with special "security software" on it that "protects" it from unauthorized users? If so it might have you locked into Windows.
2) No offense, but does this flash drive, as some do, have a manual write protect swich on it, and if it does is the drive protected by the hardware switch?
none taken, the drive is nothing special. I got it as a free bonus when I bought my dell laptop, its just a cheap-o 64 Mb drive I don't think they would bother with anything special on that.
Edit: If it is any help, the drive is FAT32.

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99