Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How to free up RAM

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    17

    How to free up RAM

    I have 1 GB of RAM and still not enough. After 2 hours of using Knoppix, I launch the performance viewer and I see that I have only a few MB of memory left. Does anyone know a command that frees up some RAM?
    I use knoppix to learn Linux commands. Usually I make an apt-get update, launch Gaim and XMMS.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    What's the output of
    Code:
    infobash -v2
    ?
    Kicker --> System --> Infocenter --> Memory for more details.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    just one thing, linux does not free used memory, not until a unused are is needed again that is. so it might read 98% used but not actually mean that 98 is sed, perhaps 90% of that is just not freed yet.
    does your computer work slowly?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: How to free up RAM

    Quote Originally Posted by csodabogar
    I have 1 GB of RAM and still not enough. After 2 hours of using Knoppix, I launch the performance viewer and I see that I have only a few MB of memory left. Does anyone know a command that frees up some RAM?
    I use knoppix to learn Linux commands. Usually I make an apt-get update, launch Gaim and XMMS.
    I think you need to learn a bit about how Linux uses memory.

    When applications won't be needing all the memory, Linux likes to use that unneeded memory for e.g. by caching files read from the harddrive, so that next time those files are used they can be read from the cache. But if an application needs more memory, Linux will immediately remove some files from the cache and give that memory to the application.

    So before thinking about freeing some memory, you need to check if some of the memory is being used for caching files. If yes, then you don't need any command to free memory, because the memory used for caching will be freed automatically when needed.

    Now start a console and run a command free which will tell how much memory is being used at the moment:
    Code:
    knoppix@0[knoppix]$ free
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:        287504     283632       3872          0       6916      75964
    -/+ buffers/cache:     200752      86752
    Swap:      2028740      10884    2017856
    In this example, Linux is using 283632 kB (99%) of the memory. But 6916 kB + 75964 kB (29%) is used by "buffers" and "cached", and that memory is available to applications whenever they need it.

    So even through I have "only" 3872 kB (1%) free memory, in practise the amount available to applications is 86752 kB (30%).

    Usually, when you want to know how much "free memory" there is in Linux, you'll want to ignore the memory used by buffers and file-cache like I have done in this example.

Similar Threads

  1. My HDD doesn't have enough free space.
    By pluto in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2006, 01:09 PM
  2. Get a Free Knoppix 3.4 CD...
    By zentu in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 11:22 PM
  3. Free Knoppix CD
    By nabetse in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 07:08 PM
  4. qt-x11-free dpkg apt-get
    By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 08:37 PM
  5. qt-x11-free
    By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-28-2003, 04:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW picture

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW

$225.00



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$177.21



Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF

$435.99



Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151) picture

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)

$189.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Micro Intel Core i5-8500T 2.1GHz 8GB RAM No AC/HDD/OS picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Micro Intel Core i5-8500T 2.1GHz 8GB RAM No AC/HDD/OS

$129.99



Lenovo Thinkpad T590 Gen1 8th Core i7 32GB 512GB Touchscreen RJ45 Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo Thinkpad T590 Gen1 8th Core i7 32GB 512GB Touchscreen RJ45 Win 11 Pro

$339.00