-
Newbie question: Can I burn a CD running from a CD?
I'm a linux/knoppix neophite. I can boot a busted Windows XP laptop to a CD running Knoppix 4.0.2. I can write files to a USB flash drive (thanks to the forums), but I am unable to find out if I can swap out the knoppix CD and burn files to a CD using the only CDRW on the lappy.
I know this has been answered before. Can somebody steer me there?
Thanks, CJon
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
With one CD drive and that holding the Knoppix CD, you can only do it in Knoppix if you have enough memory to use the toram cheat code and load the entire CD into RAM (1 gig recommended). You can do it with a smaller distro such as DSL in two ways, you can burn the smaller ISO to the CD but make the CD multi-session and then write your files to a second session on the same CD that you booted from, or you can use the toram cheat code with the smaller distro, which obviously takes less memory than Knoppix and can be done on most modern systems freeing up the CD drive.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I have a similar question.
I have 2 cdrom drives. In one of them I had the Knoppix disc, in the other I put a blank cd.
I wanted to make a copy of Knoppix with k3b. Simulation went fine, but after the burn process I couldn't boot from the copy. It gave some error and shew only 4-8 basic shell commands are available, so, the copy process failed. Could it be because knoppix was running from the source drive? Although I didn' launch any application while making the copy.
Similar Threads
-
By westcparts in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-09-2005, 05:23 AM
-
By od in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-11-2004, 04:03 PM
-
By jrcf in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-25-2004, 06:39 AM
-
By Drago in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
-
By john-boi in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-03-2003, 07:39 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*
$32.99

Intel SRF90 Xeon Gold 6248 2.50GHz 20 Core LGA 3647 Server CPU Processor
$55.99

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99