-
Junior Member
registered user
Inability to connect to the Internet
I am new to Linux, but am endeavouring to understand the jargon and complexities.
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. I have also managed to download Knoppix 5.0.1 and burn a CD using Windows XP and Nero.
My ISP is part of a cable TV setup requiring from me with XP, an ID and a password to access the broadband service theoretically working at 100Mbps, no dialing, no modem just a cable plugged into the computer at a socket named "Network Connector-(RJ-45)". They state that they have no Linux support for connection software.
I have tried Xandros and Mepis Linux distributions, and have the same problem as with Knoppix, an inability to configure a connection to the Internet. Probably due to my lack of Linux knowledge.
In Knoppix, and the other distributions, it seems to connect to the Internet one is expected to have a dial up system and other systems with cards that don't seem to be for me. Everything else works fine, or seems to so far.
Can someone advise me what to do please to connect.
My ISP details are:
Device type: PPPoE (WAN Miniport)
Server type:PPP
Transports:TCP/IP
Authentication:PAP
Compression:None
PPP Multilink framing:Off
I am not required to enter any address of any kind, or or dialup, just my ID and password. I hope I have given the correct information about my ISP to get a helpful answer.
Hopefully waiting
Similar Threads
-
By Joey6 in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-17-2007, 01:20 AM
-
By jacksonon in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-13-2006, 09:27 PM
-
By solbergg in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-10-2006, 03:11 AM
-
By simplyskate in forum Networking
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-28-2005, 06:45 PM
-
By THiM in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01
$127.06

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99

VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare
$380.00

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A
$22.67

RARE VINTAGE Kontron 80 Psi Compact Microcomputer Computer Germany Early 1980s
$399.99