A sequel to the thread..................

To Harry in particular, and others who tried to help me,

Success !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm connected.

Not with Knoppix yet, but with "Freespire's Linux" LiveCD. also a Debian Linux, AND, wait for it Harry..........., A ROUTER. In particular, not a wireless router, but one connected via ethernet cables.

I need now to eat humble pie.

Harry, you were correct, on setting up the router, everything was automatically connected with the computer, the browsers and with no setting up of the Linux system even. Everything just seemed to 'click' and fit together. Also the same with the Windows XP setup, everything connected smoothly, AND it appears that the booting process in Windows is somewhat quicker than without the router, why I have no idea.

Harry, it's now your turn to tell me "I told you so".

It was not because of the Linux problem that I got the router though, it was in fact to help out a friend to share my Internet connection that the router was bought. It was not expensive and complied with your recommended specifications, i.e. Built in Firewall and "Nat" etc. it is made in Taiwan and the brand is "Planet".

Thank you for your advise, BUT........... without the router it seems STILL to be almost impossible to connect via Linux at the present time, without additional software being installed for the type of connection that I am using. Namely, PPPoE/DSL without any dialing or phone numbers being required to connect to my ISP.

Regards