-
Make "myconf=scan" default
I'm new to Knoppix if considering installing, scripting, or other "advanced" stuff. However, I'm following Knoppix since it's version 3.7 and I like it very much.
I believe, that most of the people who use it either do the combination with a usb-stick or write-enabled (swap)disk. This boils down that you do not want to use the cheat codes always, rather you'd like to load your stored configuration.
Thus, it would be very nice (toward the newbies too), to make the "knoppix myconf=scan" be the default code after hitting the enter key.
I hope I expressed myself clear.
Cheers
Marcel
EDIT: Is it possible to make it my self? Remastering of so... Thanx for any hint.
-
I agree, after all if you use it more than once you will certainly need to save your stuff somewhere.
And yes, automatically saving that config after changes wouldn't be bad either (but this one would be more complicated).
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Reading through existing posts (or even the subject lines of the posts) will save you from duplicating previous posts. In this case this was asked for in this forum some time ago. I don't agree with Fabianx's logic in his response, but it shows what the developers are thinking and why we are not likely to get this feature.
-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
Reading through existing posts (or even the subject lines of the posts) will save you from duplicating previous posts. In this case
this was asked for in this forum some time ago. I don't agree with Fabianx's logic in his response, but it shows what the developers are thinking and why we are not likely to get this feature.
As far as I understand from that thread, the security feature is to protect from somebody forgetting his USB stick in (a probability I can understand) and that stick has in the automatic startup some commands to cleanup the hard drive. Now, how many of those auto-HDD formatters guys are expected to be in the wild, in order to be that paranoid about them? Every person in his senses formats by hand and at least asks for confirmation, so I'd say whoever has an autoformat USB stick is just a dumb moron waiting for it to happen.
Now if that autoformat stick was a virus, I'd say it has already formatted the HDD whenever it was plugged in (unless this one is a dumb moron virus)
In other words, Harry's argument (if USB stick in, expect defaults from stick) stays fully valid.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hmmm.
In my eyes, Linux = security.
But this safety measure really is a paranoid thought..
In the other hand, developers could make something like this: at bootup Knoppix should ask: "Scan for configuration settings?" Yes or No?
What do you think?
Similar Threads
-
By longlostname in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-28-2008, 10:08 PM
-
By FlameWeasel in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-24-2005, 05:08 PM
-
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-22-2005, 10:02 PM
-
By Pokec in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-07-2003, 07:39 PM
-
By andyed in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-12-2003, 04:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$334.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14.0" 16GB 512GB, BLACK
$285.99

Lenovo Thinkbook 14s Yoga ITL 14” Core i7-1165G7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Touch
$379.00

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$242.00

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50