Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: force mount USB drive??

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3

    force mount USB drive??

    Hi Guys, hope someone can help, I'm at my wits ebd with this.
    Under XP I ran norton defgramenter which norton goback decided was creating too many bad sectors and rebooted the machine for me. Since then I havn't been able to boot the machine. So after some digging i found NTFS4DOS which rus a chkdsk which fails on the drive during the index check which leads me to think the disk is in a bad way. So I need to get the files off and am using Knoppix to do it. I've got a 350gb toshiba external drive (fat32) which knoppix sees fine. However if i try to access the external drive i get the message you cant write to this drive (or similaer) so I dismount the drive (umout /dev/sdb1) and then remount using mount -o rw /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 and it tels me that because windows didn't shut down cleanily I cant mount a drive to write. Is there a way to force the drive to mount?. It is in fact clean (brand new) and I'm at the stage where I'm only trying to salvage the files from windows?. Interestingly my USB memory stick is fine and I can write to that - it thinks its a vfat drive whereas the USB tells me its a fuse device.
    Sorry for any confusing stuff, I'm not a Unix system person at all, just know a bit from previous job.
    Hope someone can help, or the next step is Kermit (or wireless ??) file transfer

    Regards

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    31
    What happens if you do:
    Code:
    mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3
    thanks for that,
    tried it and the message is wrong fs type bad superblock and missing code page. Do dmesg | tail
    Had a look and it says cant find a valid FAT file system.
    Does it make any odds that it's FAT32 ?
    Regards
    Kevin

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    31
    Strange.
    I have a removable USB disk (in fact a ZenMicro I configured as a 4GB drive) which is formated in fat32 and the command I gave you is the one I use to mount it.
    -t means you will mount the filesystem that follows. vfat is the one for fat16 and fat32

    Are you sure your device is in fat32?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3
    According to the toshiba documentation it is FAT32.
    I think the issue is not that it will not mount, it's that knoppix is detecting that windows didn't close cleanly so for whatever reason won't let the USB disc mount - possibly protecting me from myself.
    I can mount a ram based USB memory stick, which is vfat, and I can write to it. My assumption is that knoppix knows that it is not a physical disk and for some reason treats it differently.
    The floppy also mounts ok.
    When I get home I'll try mounting the USB disc on my laptop (fully working !) and see what happens, i'll also see what happends on the dead machine if I mount it for read only (-o r) I belive the default is read/write i.e. -o rw
    By the way the dead disk is NTFS


    Regards
    Kevin

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    31
    If your laptop is running XP (or the like) the best thing would be indeed to click 'safely remove hardware' in the system tray and retry on the other machine.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2008, 10:33 AM
  2. access windows hard drive force del of dir
    By cedtech23 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 04:17 PM
  3. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  4. Problem detect/mount dvd drive force to switch back to WinXP
    By wilson001 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 11:17 PM
  5. How to force swap space on HD not to mount ?
    By cwee005 in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 11:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5

20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive

$349.99



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$58.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95