-
Ndiswrapper Idioicy - Help!
I have the 6/01 (latest) release of knoppix and I installed it to my laptop. Ndiswrapper worked fine but I stupidly said, "Hey, I'll upgrade." I downloaded the latest version of ndiswrapper and what do you know, it didn't compile. It was too late to reverse what I had done. I accidentally deleted ndiswrapper. Since then I've tried several different versions of ndiswrapper with no success. They all errored out when I tried to compile them. I even tried booting another system with the same knoppix CD and I taking out the ndiswrapper.ko driver file in /lib/modules/2.6.17/misc and putting it in my other computer. I get 'Invalid Arguement' when I 'modprobe ndiswrapper'. I wanted to try copying all ndiswrapper related files to my other computer, but I don't know all the paths. If you think this is a good idea, please post where they all are. If you have a better idea, :P please tell me.
Thanks so much,
AK
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Ndiswrapper Idioicy - Help!

Originally Posted by
pheadxdll
I have the 6/01 (latest) release of knoppix and I installed it to my laptop. Ndiswrapper worked fine but I stupidly said, "Hey, I'll upgrade." I downloaded the latest version of ndiswrapper and what do you know, it didn't compile. It was too late to reverse what I had done. I accidentally deleted ndiswrapper. Since then I've tried several different versions of ndiswrapper with no success. They all errored out when I tried to compile them. I even tried booting another system with the same knoppix CD and I taking out the ndiswrapper.ko driver file in /lib/modules/2.6.17/misc and putting it in my other computer. I get 'Invalid Arguement' when I 'modprobe ndiswrapper'. I wanted to try copying all ndiswrapper related files to my other computer, but I don't know all the paths. If you think this is a good idea, please post where they all are. If you have a better idea, :P please tell me.
I'm not sure if that is a good idea, but you can use these commands to get those paths:
First, start that Knoppix CD, and list all ndiswrapper-related packages which are installed:
Code:
knoppix@0[knoppix]$ dpkg -l '*ndiswrapper*' | grep '^i'
ii knoppix-ndiswrapper 0.1-3 NdisWrapper GUI for KNOPPIX
ii ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12 1.1rc3-1 Linux kernel module for NdisWrapper for 2.6.
ii ndiswrapper-utils 1.1rc3-1 User space tools for ndiswrapper
knoppix@0[knoppix]$
For Knoppix 4.0.2 CD, I have 3 packages here: knoppix-ndiswrapper, ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12 and ndiswrapper-utils.
Then list all files which were installed by those packages:
Code:
knoppix@0[knoppix]$ dpkg -L knoppix-ndiswrapper ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12 ndiswrapper-utils
/.
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/sbin
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper.sh
/usr/share
/usr/share/applnk
/usr/share/applnk/Knoppix
/usr/share/applnk/Knoppix/Net
/usr/share/applnk/Knoppix/Net/knoppix-ndiswrapper.desktop
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/knoppix-ndiswrapper
/usr/share/doc/knoppix-ndiswrapper/copyright
/usr/share/doc/knoppix-ndiswrapper/changelog.Debian.gz
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/README
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/copyright
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/changelog.Debian.gz
/lib
/lib/modules
/lib/modules/2.6.12
/lib/modules/2.6.12/misc
/lib/modules/2.6.12/misc/ndiswrapper.ko
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/README
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/copyright
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man8
/usr/share/man/man8/ndiswrapper.8.gz
package diverts others to: /usr/share/man/man8/ndiswrapper.8.gz.distrib
/usr/sbin
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-buginfo
/sbin
/sbin/loadndisdriver
then just ignore the directories in that list to get the list of actual files. In my case there are these files in the above list:
Code:
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper.sh
/usr/share/applnk/Knoppix/Net/knoppix-ndiswrapper.desktop
/usr/share/doc/knoppix-ndiswrapper/copyright
/usr/share/doc/knoppix-ndiswrapper/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/README
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/copyright
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/changelog.Debian.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.12/misc/ndiswrapper.ko
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/README
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/copyright
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/ndiswrapper.8.gz
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-buginfo
/sbin/loadndisdriver
(Note: In some cases there can be some installed files which are not in this list, but quite often you get all installed files in this way)
-
Senior Member
registered user
Perhaps this link will help: http://packages.debian.org/testing/m...wrapper-source. I think the key is to have your kernel source installed before compiling. If you want to post the messagees your getting when you try to compile, that might help as well.
Similar Threads
-
By 2k3autococker in forum Networking
Replies: 30
Last Post: 03-03-2007, 08:20 AM
-
By Protocol in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-21-2007, 03:05 AM
-
By Kaishain in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-04-2006, 11:16 AM
-
By cyph3r in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-25-2004, 08:22 PM
-
By urbster1 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-11-2004, 08:27 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$349.48

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99