Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: setgid: operation not permitted

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15

    setgid: operation not permitted

    I'm new to linux based systems and more especially the linux commands.

    The last time I ran shell I put the command "chown -hR jathenry /". I was hoping to switch all the file owner ship and permissions over to that account.

    That didn't work. I ran shell typed "su", typed my password and now it gives me this error:

    setgid: operation not permitted

    How can i fix this? And also transfer ownership, or share ownership with root with the permissions?


    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: setgid: operation not permitted

    Quote Originally Posted by tymlls05
    I'm new to linux based systems and more especially the linux commands.

    The last time I ran shell I put the command "chown -hR jathenry /". I was hoping to switch all the file owner ship and permissions over to that account.
    If you did that from root-shell, then most likely it DID work, but that was quite stupid thing to do because there are certain system-files which must be owned by root (or one of the other special user-accounts) for the system to work.

    Quote Originally Posted by tymlls05
    That didn't work. I ran shell typed "su", typed my password and now it gives me this error:

    setgid: operation not permitted
    The reason for this most likely is that after you changed the ownerships, some of the files which "su" needs, now have wrong ownership, and so you can't use "su" anymore.

    (As a test I changed the ownership of just two files: /bin/su and /usr/bin/sudo and after that "su" didn't work anymore, even if I got different error than you got)

    Quote Originally Posted by tymlls05
    How can i fix this?
    Easiest way to fix this might be to reinstall Linux.

    Other way would be to restore all file-ownerships and other things (like setgid/setuid bits) to how they were before you run the "chown -hR jathenry /" command.

    Well, at least you now know that there are certain commands which are dangerous when used from root-shell.

    Quote Originally Posted by tymlls05
    And also transfer ownership, or share ownership with root with the permissions?
    There are some files for which you must not transfer the ownership for the system to work.

    Why did you want to do that?

Similar Threads

  1. Operation not permitted
    By sniper in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 05:59 AM
  2. Operation not permitted
    By sniper in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 10:17 AM
  3. Ownership and Operation permissions???
    By cfish in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 08:58 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 12:24 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 08:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



ASRock Z890 Nova WiFi LGA 1851 Intel Z890 ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock Z890 Nova WiFi LGA 1851 Intel Z890 ATX Motherboard

$184.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



JINSHA B450M B450 AM4 MicroATX Motherboard DDR4 2DIMM M.2 W/ IO SHIELD picture

JINSHA B450M B450 AM4 MicroATX Motherboard DDR4 2DIMM M.2 W/ IO SHIELD

$49.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS H110I-PLUS Motherboard LGA1151 w/ I5-7400 CPU, 8GB, Heatsink & I/O Shield picture

ASUS H110I-PLUS Motherboard LGA1151 w/ I5-7400 CPU, 8GB, Heatsink & I/O Shield

$60.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard picture

MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard

$59.99