-
Cannot mount NTFS : doesn't contain a valid partition table
Hi!
I am using Knoppix/linux for the first time but am not new to computers/unix general troubleshooting. And I have spent a considerable amount of time searching the current threads but haven't found anything closely related to my problem. I'm currently a bit stressed about getting my hard drive back... Hope someone can help me!
My problem is that my external USB hard drive crashed (connected by firewire) and I really need that data (300Gb). If it helps: at the time of the crash I was simply moving files around, trying to gather them in 4Gb folders so I could burn some stuff to DVD, cause my drive was just about completely full. At the same time, there was a virus check in the background, reporting a find, which file I deleted (belonging to some software folder I wasn't really using). Think I was also burning one folder at the time of crash as well. In the midst of my file-moving, my explorer window stopped responding, so I rebooted the hard drive and couldn't access it again (says corrupted filesystem). I am using Windows XP Home and the partitions were NTFS, made with Disk Mgmt console. When I tried to access my partitions with Windows Disk Management console, I could see my 3 NTFS partitions, each of the right size, but Windows didn't recognize the filesystem type anymore, describes the partitions as healthy but empty.
Now after some Google research I found that Knoppix has some good chances to recover crashed drives, so I downloaded the latest version I found: 5.0.1. When I boot from the CD it can see the partitions as existing but cannot mount them. When using "mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1" it comes back with:
Code:
Failed to startup volume : Invalid argument
Couldn't mount device '/dev/sdb1' : Invalid argument
Mount failed.
So I used "fdisk -l" to see the partition information and got back:
Code:
Disk /dev/sdb: 300.0 GB ...
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 36481 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table
The smallest of the 3 partitions has been successfully reformatted in Windows after the crash, there was no data in it (3Gb kept for future linux install...) but even that one I cannot mount with the CD. I can see all 3 icons for all 3 partitions but none can be mounted.
Appreciate any help you can give me!
Thanks!
LaKanook
Yes I know prospects don't look too good but I really want to recover my data, and hopefully without having to pay huge amount of money in the process.
Similar Threads
-
By Nevermore in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-17-2009, 01:59 PM
-
By yonatan in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 02-17-2005, 02:00 AM
-
By NormanBates in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 08-21-2004, 06:46 AM
-
By Canis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-13-2003, 07:52 AM
-
By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-28-2003, 02:45 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper EX4400-EM-4S expansion modules
$599.00

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99
$24.99

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic
$79.86

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC
$8999.99

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00

Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB
$54.99