Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Change Permission on ext2 formattted drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1

    Change Permission on ext2 formattted drive

    I am brand new to linux. I have a Linux PC that had a hard drive die. I have had the data recovered, but when the drive was returned to me, it was formatted with NTFS and is totally viewable through Windows, but cannot be seen by the Linux PC. I need to copy the data from the Windows formatted Drive to an ext2 formatted drive.

    I used fdisk to wipe a drive.
    I used QTparted to format the drive ext2.
    I attempted to copy files to the newly formatted ext2 drive, but it tells me I do not have permission.
    I can copy files to the desktop from the NTFS drive without a problem.
    I changed the file permissions to "Writable" and allow everyone to change content on the ext2 drive. When I view the properties of the ext2 drive, it tells me that knoppix is the owner and has change permissions.

    When I open the drive and check the properties of the window that opens (whitch only lists a "Lost$Found" directory), it tells me root is the owner and everyone else can only view contents.

    What gives? Please be gentle with responses, I have only had one AIX course abot 4 years ago and retained nothing. The only Linux command I have successfully used (or so I thought) is QTparted.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: Change Permission on ext2 formattted drive

    Quote Originally Posted by ewd97
    I am brand new to linux. I have a Linux PC that had a hard drive die. I have had the data recovered, but when the drive was returned to me, it was formatted with NTFS and is totally viewable through Windows, but cannot be seen by the Linux PC. I need to copy the data from the Windows formatted Drive to an ext2 formatted drive.

    I used fdisk to wipe a drive.
    I used QTparted to format the drive ext2.
    I attempted to copy files to the newly formatted ext2 drive, but it tells me I do not have permission.
    I can copy files to the desktop from the NTFS drive without a problem.
    I changed the file permissions to "Writable" and allow everyone to change content on the ext2 drive. When I view the properties of the ext2 drive, it tells me that knoppix is the owner and has change permissions.

    When I open the drive and check the properties of the window that opens (whitch only lists a "Lost$Found" directory), it tells me root is the owner and everyone else can only view contents.

    What gives? Please be gentle with responses, I have only had one AIX course abot 4 years ago and retained nothing. The only Linux command I have successfully used (or so I thought) is QTparted.
    First, try to remount the drive as writable (see below).
    After that I suggest that you create a directory to that drive (e.g. myfiles) and make it owned by Knoppix.
    So if your drive is mounted at /mnt/hda1 then try this from console:
    Code:
    sudo mount -o remount,rw /mnt/hda1
    sudo mkdir /mnt/hda1/myfiles
    sudo chown knoppix:knoppix /mnt/hda1/myfiles
    Then copy your files to that myfiles directory.
    (This is what I usually use when I get permission-problems with ext2-partitions. I don't know how to make whole partition writable by Knoppix so I just create a single directory which is writable by Knoppix and use that).

    If this doesn't work, then post any errors you get while trying this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    117
    I usually do most of my work as root but I think this might work to make a ext3 partition writable by anybody, including of course the user knoppix. Either do these codes in the root shell, or use sudo, as in the example below:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/hda1 /media/hda1
    sudo chmod 777 /media/hda1
    This will make the whole hda1 partition writable by anybody.
    I hope it works for you. Regards.

Similar Threads

  1. No write permission to USB drive
    By kenny23 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2009, 11:13 AM
  2. [newbie-need help] error while change HDD permission file
    By pai in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2006, 09:32 PM
  3. Removable drive convert from ext2 to FAT32
    By gplhl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 01:35 AM
  4. HOW-TO: change terminal server from cdrom to hard drive... w
    By kevingpo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 10:47 PM
  5. Really Strange Boot Question - Change the Knoppix drive.
    By myownlittlworld in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 05:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120

$69.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$155.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73