Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: What to install?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19

    What to install?

    I have the following distributions:

    Mandrake 10.1 (I cannot find any support on the Internet regarding this Distro, which puts me off a little)
    Suse Live dvd 9.2 (Won't work live as it cannot detect RAM or something, so I'm worried it will do the same when I install)
    Ubuntu Linux (Lagged terribly when I ran it as a Live CD, and I didn't like the look of the GUI)
    Knoppix 3.7 (Installation not reccomended)

    Mandrake 10.1 Powerpack seems most appealing currently, what do you think? I'm setting up partitions now for a dual boot, hopefully I'll have something sorted out soon.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: What to install?

    Quote Originally Posted by samhainbaphomet
    what to install?
    You may wish to start here for help in sorting them out.

    Mandrake is the old name of the distro now called Mandriva. I wouldn't mess with anything old enough to have the old name.

    Ubuntu has many happy users, but I was unimpressed with the LiveCD as a live CD and have not installed it. I see no reason to install it over Debian, which it is based on, unless you find that Debian does not have some hardware support you want and Ubuntu does. If you want the KDE gui and Ubuntu then install Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu, but with Debian you can just install whatever GUI you want.

    I advise against installing Knoppix, this is known to cause many problems. If Knoppix works for you as a Live CD and you like what you see, then I suggest, as long as you have a high speed connection, doing a Net-install of Debian Etch. The net-install ISO is a little over 100 meg, boots from CD, detects your high speed connection (as long as you are not foolish enough to run DSL without a router) and installs everything else it needs from the Internet. If you don't have a high speed connection then I suggest obtaining install CD #1 (#1 is fine, you don't need the whole set of 19) and installing from that,

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19
    Thanks!

    Well I attempted to install Suse, but got an error about something being out of sync and a kernel panic so I have no idea what to do with that. Kubuntu sounds interesting

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by samhainbaphomet
    Kubuntu sounds interesting
    Lots of choices for different people, but as I said before I see no reason to install it over Debian, which it is based on, unless you find that Debian does not have some hardware support you want and Ubuntu does.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



lOT OF 4 SKhynix 8GB (4 x 8GB =32GB) HMA41GR7MFR8N-TF 2R8 PC4-2133P DDR4 MEMORY picture

lOT OF 4 SKhynix 8GB (4 x 8GB =32GB) HMA41GR7MFR8N-TF 2R8 PC4-2133P DDR4 MEMORY

$89.00



Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB DDR5 memory kit, 2x16GB picture

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB DDR5 memory kit, 2x16GB

$329.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3 picture

32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3

$200.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.50



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00