Hello everyone.
I am very new to Knoppix or any other live CD of Linux.
I would like to make my own remaster of Knoppix to demo some code I wrote that uses the frame buffer, directly from the console. I started out with a Matrox G450 video card, and for some reason, I can't get any frame buffer action at all. No Tux! Then I switched to an Nvidia card and I get my frame buffer. I have my own executables sitting on a hard drive where I can get at them. When I try to do anything with the frame buffer and fbset, it either ignores me or gives me an error. In either event, it fails to change anything. If I run some of my stuff that works in 16 bit packed pixel, it works fine. But I need 32 bpp! And I would also like to have the option to change the screen resolution and refresh rate. Is it simply (!) a matter of recompiling the kernel for my own version of Knoppix to include more of the frame buffer options or is there some underlying restriction in the way Knoppix works that I will never get what I want?
Thanks to all in advance!
Have a great day. James. :o)
For some reason, the link that I had included with this post was removed. So, if you are interested in the graphics project that I'm working on, do a search on EZFB. It has been available as freeware since 2000. It has been used to develop several embedded Linux projects and by manufacturers to improve the performance of LCD drivers. The application that I am most interested in demonstrating with a Knoppix remaster is called LaserBoy. It was started in 2003.

W&T 50519 Pure.box 3 USB Linux Thin Client Industrial PC Embedded Server
$135.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$13.99
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server
$100.00
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch
$499.99
BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD
$169.99
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99