-
using frame buffer from console
Hello everyone.
I am very new to Knoppix or any other live CD of Linux.
I would like to make my own remaster of Knoppix to demo some code I wrote that uses the frame buffer, directly from the console. I started out with a Matrox G450 video card, and for some reason, I can't get any frame buffer action at all. No Tux! Then I switched to an Nvidia card and I get my frame buffer. I have my own executables sitting on a hard drive where I can get at them. When I try to do anything with the frame buffer and fbset, it either ignores me or gives me an error. In either event, it fails to change anything. If I run some of my stuff that works in 16 bit packed pixel, it works fine. But I need 32 bpp! And I would also like to have the option to change the screen resolution and refresh rate. Is it simply (!) a matter of recompiling the kernel for my own version of Knoppix to include more of the frame buffer options or is there some underlying restriction in the way Knoppix works that I will never get what I want?
Thanks to all in advance!
Have a great day. James. :o)
For some reason, the link that I had included with this post was removed. So, if you are interested in the graphics project that I'm working on, do a search on EZFB. It has been available as freeware since 2000. It has been used to develop several embedded Linux projects and by manufacturers to improve the performance of LCD drivers. The application that I am most interested in demonstrating with a Knoppix remaster is called LaserBoy. It was started in 2003.
Similar Threads
-
By Davy27 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-02-2008, 08:56 PM
-
By kimmel18 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-02-2006, 10:02 PM
-
By frenziedskier in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-03-2005, 07:16 PM
-
By elbrundo in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-24-2004, 09:00 PM
-
By cactux in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-30-2004, 02:30 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core i5-11400F 6-Core 2.60GHz LGA1200 CPU Processor SRKP1
$70.00

CPU-RAM-MOBO COMBO- 32gb DDR4 3600MHz, i5 CPU, Asus Prime Motherboard
$370.00

Intel Core Ultra 5 235T SRQES Desktop CPU
$109.99

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU
$74.99

Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor
$259.99

Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz 6.4GT/s 12MB 6-core 1333MHz SLBVX processor
$28.00

AMD Ryzen 5 9600X Processor (Zen 5) 6-Core 3.9GHz AM5 65W Desktop CPU
$169.99

GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4
$229.95

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$175.00