-
interesting problem / dilema
I am using knoppix as a recovery OS to get files off my computer before I wipe it clean. I plan to send the files through the internet over AIM to the other computer connected to my router. Unfortunately, I cannot connect to the internet when connected to the router. I can ping the other computer and the router itself, but can't touch anything outside of the router (i.e. the internet or ping any sites, etc...) However, when I plug the knoppix system directly into the calbe modem I get internet.
I have racked my brain trying to come up with an explanation and can't....any thoughts or suggestions? It is a netgear wireless router with 4 wired ports 2 of which are being used (one for knoppix system and the other for the computer) and it's DHCP.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: interesting problem / dilema

Originally Posted by
abugarcias
I am using knoppix as a recovery OS to get files off my computer before I wipe it clean. I plan to send the files through the internet over AIM to the other computer connected to my router. Unfortunately, I cannot connect to the internet when connected to the router. I can ping the other computer and the router itself, but can't touch anything outside of the router (i.e. the internet or ping any sites, etc...) However, when I plug the knoppix system directly into the calbe modem I get internet.
I have racked my brain trying to come up with an explanation and can't....any thoughts or suggestions? It is a netgear wireless router with 4 wired ports 2 of which are being used (one for knoppix system and the other for the computer) and it's DHCP.
I would use Samba to share a directory(s) on the receiving computer and send them over via samba
I would NOT send my private files over the internet via AIM to get to another comptuer on my own local network.
The problem your probably having is that your resolv.conf is doesn't have good DNS servers.
See http://ka1fsb.home.att.net/resolve.html
Open a console and type:
rec9140@rickscne:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
You should get something like:
search tampabay.rr.com
nameserver 4.2.2.1
nameserver 192.168.1.11
rec9140@rickscne:~$
Try running the netcard config and answer NO to use DHCP address and then put in an UNUSED IP from your subnet like 192.168.0.4, then use the defaults for everything EXCEPT default gateway and change it to the IP of your router which on Netgear is normally 192.168.0.1, you can use the router for the DNS or enter your ISP's DNS. I have had problems where the DHCP server in some Netgear devices the DHCP client in Knoppix just didn't like and would hang up the comptuer, no iternet etc..
Or you can manually just add in your DNS servers for your ISP into resolv.conf
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: interesting problem / dilema

Originally Posted by
abugarcias
I can ping the other computer and the router itself, but can't touch anything outside of the router (i.e. the internet or ping any sites, etc...) However, when I plug the knoppix system directly into the calbe modem I get internet.
I have racked my brain trying to come up with an explanation and can't....any thoughts or suggestions? It is a netgear wireless router with 4 wired ports 2 of which are being used (one for knoppix system and the other for the computer) and it's DHCP.
There are occasional reports of routers not DHCP handshaking with Knoppix/Linux properly, even when they work with Windows. I had a Belkin that had issues. My Netgear works fine with Knoppix though.
Assuming that you are going in on the wired side, not the wireless, which is it's own can of worms, I think the most likely issue and the one we have seen most is a DNS problem. If you can ping 72.36.188.40 but cannot ping knoppix.net then you have a DNS issue (you could try doing a netcardconfig and manually setting the DNS server). In many cases people have reported that something as simple as cycling power on the router helped, in some others a router reset did the trick. Also it may help if you make sure that your windows system releases it's lease to the DHCP server before shutting down (granted, this should not be needed, but there are cases where it has been known to resolve the issue). And you might wish to look and see if there is a firemare update available for your router and if so flash it to the current software level.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: interesting problem / dilema

Originally Posted by
abugarcias
II have racked my brain trying to come up with an explanation and can't....any thoughts or suggestions? It is a netgear wireless router with 4 wired ports 2 of which are being used (one for knoppix system and the other for the computer) and it's DHCP.
Open a console and type:
rec9140@ricksknoppix:~$ joe /etc/resolv.conf
When the editor comes up
you should see:
search ij.net
nameserver 207.22.166.61
nameserver 207.22.166.2
Change the lines with NAMESERVER to be what your DNS servers for your ISP are.
If your not sure of the the dns
Go to that other os and do START RUN CMD (hit enter)
c:> ifconfig /all
In the text that scrolls by will be your DNS servers.
As a last resort just use the IP of your router, most routers will act as a DNS proxy and forward it on to the ISP.
After you chage the DNS settings in joe hit CTRL-K then X to save the changes.
See if you then can find sites on the internet by names ie: http://www.knoppix.net
Similar Threads
-
By stuart_b in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-25-2004, 11:21 PM
-
By nmcphillips in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-28-2004, 11:47 PM
-
By Loper in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-04-2003, 06:44 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD
$84.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600
$239.99