I think I found my answer:
http://forum.s-t-d.org/viewtopic.php?pid=15507
Hi all,
I'm trying to get Knoppix STD v3.2 to boot on my HP 6230 laptop, I'm heading to SANS in two weeks and I'd like to have time to play with this before then.
So far I've tried every trick listed here, with the following results:
boot: knoppix vga=0 OR vga=normal ---> I get "uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel" After a few more seconds the cdrom spins down and I get nothing.
boot: knoppix acpi=off pnpbios=off noapic noapm Helpful for laptops ---> I get "loading vmlinuz" then screen blanks out
boot: knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3 Using this boot command will cause Knoppix to pause at various stages in the boot process. Just type 'exit' at each shell prompt to move on to the next stage. You will know that you are at the final stage when typing 'exit' does not do anything. If you get that far, type 'init 5' to go into graphics mode. ---> I get a full screen of info, with the last line being: cpu=0, clocks=0, slice=0, and then nothing. I guess I can try to write down all the info if someone thinks that will help.
boot: failsafe debug -b 3 That will do the same as the previous boot command, except turn off most of the hardware detection. ---> I get "loading vmlinuz" then screen blanks out
Thanks for any suggestions,
PJ
I think I found my answer:
http://forum.s-t-d.org/viewtopic.php?pid=15507

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
G.skill Trident Royal Ddr4 16gb 3000
$79.99
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16
$169.99
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2400T-RE1-11 HMA82GR7AFR8N -UH TD AA
$2450.00
DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$30.00
16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980
$39.99
SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98