-
upgrading after Hdd Install to new version of Knoppix
Hello,
I would like to update my hdd install to include those changes that are made in the new version of Knoppix. For example, I just installed 2003_5_3 and I'd like to update to the 2003_5_16 version. I do not want to track all Debian changes since Knoppix seems quite stable(thank you)
Is there an easy way to do this by using apt-get somehow? Or is there a way to do this by downloading iso image and somehow upgrading from a new CD version?
Regards
mr n
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: upgrading after Hdd Install to new version of Knoppix

Originally Posted by
mrnobody
I would like to update my hdd install to include those changes that are made in the new version of Knoppix.
I don't think there is an easy way, though you can boot a Knoppix CD, use the partition programs (qtparted) to make some room for a dedicated /home partition.
You then install the newest Knoppix on the same partition as it was before, and edit /etc/fstab to mount the new partition as /home 
There is a good walktrough in the docs on this site.
-
Thanks for the quick reply. So you are suggesting that I put all changes into a /home partition and then install the new CD each time into the root "/" partition? The problem is that I have to carefully track installations and changes that do not go into /home. For example if I install something that ends up in /usr/bin, then I will have to reinstall each time? Or maybe I do not understand you mean?
Regards
Mr. N.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: upgrading after Hdd Install to new version of Knoppix

Originally Posted by
Henk Poley
There is a good walktrough in the docs on this site.
WWJD? JWRTFM! 
But indeed, you would need to reinstall the programs you fetched yourself every time you update, but configs are saved because of backing up /home.
I think backing up /root micht be handy too. Would it be wise to do this the same way as /home?
-
Senior Member
registered user
If you want to keep your present packages and not have the new ones then:
dpkg --get-selections > selections.txt - To save your current packages for use after the new install
dpkg --set-selections < selections.txt - Restore the old package selections to new install.
apt-get update - Update packages available.
apt-get upgrade - Install the packages available.
If you want to keep your configuration settings for the programs you have installed then backup your /etc directory and restore after the new install and if you want your home directory settings kept then back this up and restore after the new install.
Similar Threads
-
By rozen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-17-2005, 05:29 PM
-
By Durand Hicks in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-10-2004, 01:35 PM
-
By usercsr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-23-2004, 03:15 AM
-
By atko in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-16-2004, 04:22 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum General Support
Replies: 23
Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:12 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Seagate 3.5" Desktop HDD 3TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 1ER166-510
$39.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99

SEAGATE EXOS 4TB 7.2K 12Gb/s 3.5" 128MB Cach SAS ST4000NM0125 HDD hard drive
$59.99