Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: hda1 Mounting Trouble

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6

    hda1 Mounting Trouble

    I am trying to get data from an internal HD that has a Debian install on it, but that has boot issues. I am pretty much a noob when it comes to linux administration. The box was compromised and at this point, I would be happy to get a couple of directories tar'd up and emailed to myself and then do a fresh install.

    I created a Knoppix live CD from the 5.0.1 iso I downloaded and everything fired up the first time. However, I cannot seem to figure out how to mount the existing, internal, HDD. On my desktop I see the CD, Floppy, Knoppix icon and trash. However, there is nothing about hda1 there. I can browse hda (the partition is 1 in there) with testdisk, but when I try to mount it by making an entry into fstab and then mount it with something like mount /dev/hda1 /media/hd or hda1 (and creating a directory for hda1 in /media) it tells me the drive is mounted already or the mount point is busy.

    I just tried the nofstab cheatcode and that didn't help as I got the same busy message.

    I am sure I am about a half of a step away from making this work, I just can't seem to figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: hda1 Mounting Trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by iamchachi
    I am trying to get data from an internal HD that has a Debian install on it, but that has boot issues. I am pretty much a noob when it comes to linux administration. The box was compromised and at this point, I would be happy to get a couple of directories tar'd up and emailed to myself and then do a fresh install.

    I created a Knoppix live CD from the 5.0.1 iso I downloaded and everything fired up the first time. However, I cannot seem to figure out how to mount the existing, internal, HDD. On my desktop I see the CD, Floppy, Knoppix icon and trash. However, there is nothing about hda1 there. I can browse hda (the partition is 1 in there) with testdisk, but when I try to mount it by making an entry into fstab and then mount it with something like mount /dev/hda1 /media/hd or hda1 (and creating a directory for hda1 in /media) it tells me the drive is mounted already or the mount point is busy.

    I just tried the nofstab cheatcode and that didn't help as I got the same busy message.

    I am sure I am about a half of a step away from making this work, I just can't seem to figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    When mounting manually, I usually suggest to mounting to a normal directory outside /media/ or /mnt/ because those might have some special system-settings. Also DO NOT modify fstab, that is not needed and just complicates things.

    So try e.g. this:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /hda1
    sudo mount /dev/hda1 /hda1
    And then browse from /hda1 to see if the mounting was successfull.
    If this doesn't work, please post any errors you get.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6
    malaire, thanks for the reply.

    sudo mkdir /hda1 - no error
    sudo mount /dev/hda1 /hda1 - gives mount: /dev/hda1 already mounted or /hda1 busy

    FYI, I can cd to /hda1, but nothing in there

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8

    Re: hda1 Mounting Trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by malaire
    When mounting manually, I usually suggest to mounting to a normal directory outside /media/ or /mnt/ because those might have some special system-settings. Also DO NOT modify fstab, that is not needed and just complicates things.

    So try e.g. this:
    Code:
    mkdir /hda1
    mount /dev/hda1 /hda1
    And then browse from /hda1 to see if the mounting was successfull.
    If this doesn't work, please post any errors you get.
    Sweet..... Worked sorta.... I can browse hda1 in the root console, but couldn't use the broswer. Would I have to be running as root user in the GUI. sry noob in this stuff.
    Bttw I'm running Knoppix Live CD and I only set the root pass.

    Thanks I feel S-M-R-T!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: hda1 Mounting Trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Quote Originally Posted by malaire
    When mounting manually, I usually suggest to mounting to a normal directory outside /media/ or /mnt/ because those might have some special system-settings. Also DO NOT modify fstab, that is not needed and just complicates things.


    So try e.g. this:
    Code:
    mkdir /hda1
    mount /dev/hda1 /hda1
    And then browse from /hda1 to see if the mounting was successfull.
    If this doesn't work, please post any errors you get.
    Sweet..... Worked sorta.... I can browse hda1 in the root console, but couldn't use the broswer. Would I have to be running as root user in the GUI. sry noob in this stuff.
    Bttw I'm running Knoppix Live CD and I only set the root pass.

    Thanks I feel S-M-R-T!
    After mounting, you could try chmod 0777 /hda1 from root-console and then try to browse it again.
    Someone said in another message that this helps (at least in some cases).
    (I don't really understand all the different permission-problems which can happen when mounting.)

    An alternative would be to start e.g. Konqueror as root-user, e.g. with konqueror --profile filemanagement from root-console. This gives quite many errors for me, but seems to work. I don't know if those errors are significant or not.

Similar Threads

  1. Sound Trouble + Modem Trouble on Knoppix 4.0
    By AJones in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 07:26 PM
  2. Trouble mounting/copying from ntfs disk
    By sakura_candy in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2006, 06:22 PM
  3. System hangs while mounting hda1
    By zorblek in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-18-2006, 05:33 AM
  4. Trouble Mounting Harddrive
    By NeedHelp1212 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-17-2006, 03:14 AM
  5. Trouble Mounting a Hard Drive
    By hadeschild in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2006, 03:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95