-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: hda1 Mounting Trouble

Originally Posted by
iamchachi
I am trying to get data from an internal HD that has a Debian install on it, but that has boot issues. I am pretty much a noob when it comes to linux administration. The box was compromised and at this point, I would be happy to get a couple of directories tar'd up and emailed to myself and then do a fresh install.
I created a Knoppix live CD from the 5.0.1 iso I downloaded and everything fired up the first time. However, I cannot seem to figure out how to mount the existing, internal, HDD. On my desktop I see the CD, Floppy, Knoppix icon and trash. However, there is nothing about hda1 there. I can browse hda (the partition is 1 in there) with testdisk, but when I try to mount it by making an entry into fstab and then mount it with something like mount /dev/hda1 /media/hd or hda1 (and creating a directory for hda1 in /media) it tells me the drive is mounted already or the mount point is busy.
I just tried the nofstab cheatcode and that didn't help as I got the same busy message.
I am sure I am about a half of a step away from making this work, I just can't seem to figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.
When mounting manually, I usually suggest to mounting to a normal directory outside /media/ or /mnt/ because those might have some special system-settings. Also DO NOT modify fstab, that is not needed and just complicates things.
So try e.g. this:
Code:
sudo mkdir /hda1
sudo mount /dev/hda1 /hda1
And then browse from /hda1 to see if the mounting was successfull.
If this doesn't work, please post any errors you get.
Similar Threads
-
By AJones in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-05-2007, 07:26 PM
-
By sakura_candy in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-23-2006, 06:22 PM
-
By zorblek in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-18-2006, 05:33 AM
-
By NeedHelp1212 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-17-2006, 03:14 AM
-
By hadeschild in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-07-2006, 03:55 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats
$35.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested
$149.99

atari 400 Upgraded 48k board & mpp-1100 working & Power Supply
$109.65

Broken Indus GT Floppy Disk Drive for Atari
$129.99

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on
$255.00

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested 48k READ
$370.00