-
Total chaos indeed
Yes, the menus in Linux are a total chaos, and I realized that eversince I've been remastering Knoppix 3.6 trying to make it more human to my eyes. The problem is that the menu standards changed in time and instead of sticking to only one standard (the more recent...???!!!) they tried to shoot the bird and the rabbit with a single bullet. As you can see, they did succeed, but parts of the rabbit's liver are now in the bird's brains.
Seriously talking, I've been reordering the menus by sifting through and editing the ton of small .desktop and .directory files scattered through a lot of different places. Here's where you should dig to accomplish this: (I'm talking for Knoppix 4.0.2, but this may also fit for older and newer ones)
- /usr/share/applications and /usr/share/applications/kde, where mostly all the KDE packages keep their individual menu files
- /usr/share/applnk, where there is a menu structure with individual directories named for individual menu categories. In there there is a ".hidden" directory, which contains entries for the context menu "Open with" in Konqueror.
- /usr/share/desktop-directories - here are the start menu directories defined
- /etc/xdg/menus - here are also some start menu directories, defined as position and visibility
- /var/lib/menu-xdg - here are again the start menu directories, in the "desktop-directories" folder. Also there are 2 others folders, "applications" and "menus", which hold the individual entries for the whole menu and the menu structure respectively. They are not hard to understand if you study them a little
There is more of menus and the whole shebang but I just don't have enough patience to write it all now.
Anyway, my idea was to exterminate all the contents in these places except the contents of /var/lib/menu-xdg. So I moved all the .desktop files with the individual menu entries in /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg after I modified them accordingly, I reduced to the maximum the files in /etc/xdg/menus, I deleted the .directory files in /usr/share/desktop-directories after embedding their contents in /var/lib/menu-xdg/menus/debian-menu.menu, I deleted everything in /usr/share/applnk except the ".hidden" directory after copying them to /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg and so on...
The most painful process I've ever known...
Similar Threads
-
By bthomson100 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-22-2009, 02:06 AM
-
By wroseland in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-06-2007, 02:28 PM
-
By pranav in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-26-2006, 05:55 AM
-
By tommydl in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-24-2004, 07:57 PM
-
By montagne57 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4
$149.95

Datto S3P1000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 16GB DDR4
$139.95

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08