-
Its all in german!
i cant read anything, and after 5 minutes it freezes up
-
Its all in german!
You didn't give any information, but one possibilityis that you downloaded a German iso. For instance, KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-DE - the DE indicates a German iso. -EN would indicate English.
If you got it with a magazine, then the language of the Knoppix should match the magazine. In other words, use an English magazine.
Can you also tell what version you were using.
-
I can't speak (or write) for anybody else, but I downloaded it from the knoppix home site. There was no mention there that it would be in German and as far as I can tell, no way to get a version that isn't. I'm certainly NOT going to be wasting time and bandwidth downloading from random sites hoping to get one in English! Where can I get one, or should I simply go to Gnomix, which is more likely to be in a user-friendly language?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
If you don't want to learn how to get the right copy of Knoppix for you, then your post is off-topic here. You would be much better off asking in a Gnomix forum. If you want to learn what you did wrong and how to best get a good copy, see answer #1.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Sneering at people who are having difficulty is a real great way to make converts. Not! As I said, I downloaded this from the knoppix home site, with no indication that it wasn't in English, and no way to find one that was. Either provide a pointer to a usable (for me) version or don't waste my time posting insults.
-
BTW, I can't read that faq you sent me to because the site crashes when I try. The more I look at this, the less hope I have of getting a useful answer from anybody here, and that's a good sign of what I'll find if/when I get a workable copy. Please do your best to prove me wrong.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
No one sneared at you.
I pointed you to the downloading faq. It is loading just fine for me. It explains which version of Knoppix is which, how to tell the native English version from the German version, how to tell the DVD from the CD, how to get the German version to boot into English and more, including that the best and fastest way is not to use any of the mirrors at all. You might even be able to "fix" your German version if you follow the instructions without needing to download everything again.
I have no idea why you are crashing, and you don't give any info that would help me figure out why you are crashing.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Answer 1 points me to the Downloading faq, which crashed. I later got it to load and it said absolutely NOTHING about languages. Typical Debian: sending people to useless faqs instead of answering questions.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
sideburns
Answer 1 points me to the Downloading faq, which crashed. I later got it to load and it said absolutely NOTHING about languages. Typical Debian: sending people to useless faqs instead of answering questions.
The very first question in the FAQ talks about the different versions and explains the English/German issue. You posted in this thread, and the very first response in this thread, by ndb, explains the German/English issue also, but you ignored that and posted your "or should I simply go to Gnomix" post instead of following the instructions. If you can't read even the first question of a key faq or the first response in a thread that you see has the same question that you have, then I strongly urge you to go for that Gnomix download instead.
-
Yes, the faq explains about the different languages, but IT DOESN'T TELL WHERE TO GET ANY VERSION OTHER THAN GERMAN. As that's what I need to know, the faq is useless. Don't bother replying, as I'm taking your advice and abandoning any attempts to get Knoppix in English. Clearly, it's almost impossible to do or you would have pointed me to a download site instead of a faq that doesn't help.
Similar Threads
-
By chaosnine in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-03-2017, 08:53 PM
-
By Krogen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-26-2006, 08:22 AM
-
By crispyleaf in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-29-2005, 01:49 PM
-
By metroidprime13 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:14 PM
-
By PeterFr in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-23-2003, 04:50 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99

Intel Xeon E5-2699 v3 18 Core 2.3 GHz 45MB SR1XD LGA 2011-3 B Grade
$15.95

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00

Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00
$279.00