Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: cant edit /etc/init.d/boot.local

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1

    cant edit /etc/init.d/boot.local

    I found a link on the web that mentioned how I can speed up my box. It suggested to add
    hdparm -X66 -d1 -u1 -m16 -c3 /dev/hda
    since I did that and did a reboot. I no longer can boot into suse. on startup the os just hangs. Its same even if i try to login in failsafe mode. I got knoppix, I browsed thru /mnt/hda3/ and wanted to comment the line in /etc/init.d/boot.local but I cant coz it says the file can be opened only in read only mode and I dont know how I can login as root and access /mnt/hda3

    I tried to login as su, and give the suse root passwd but still I cant edit the file.

    I am sort of frozen and need to get some imp. work done. Plz help!
    (my distro suse was so damn slow, which led me to do this in the beginning).. now it actually backfired!!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    1) Answer #6.

    2) if you need to be root, and I doubt that you do, use the su or sudo commands, use the man command to learn more.

Similar Threads

  1. Edit boot.ini
    By DarkLogan in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 02:54 PM
  2. edit boot.msg or use bootsplash?
    By mithereal in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 03:12 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 11:36 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 06:25 PM
  5. looking to edit boot image
    By pubecon in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 11:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



VTG Atari 130XE Home Computer System 130 XE  Parts or Repair READ picture

VTG Atari 130XE Home Computer System 130 XE Parts or Repair READ

$150.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 1040ST Vintage Home Computer | Turns On picture

Atari 1040ST Vintage Home Computer | Turns On

$299.99



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL “Powers On” Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL “Powers On” Parts or Repair

$249.95



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



READ UNTESTED But Works Vintage Atari 410 Program Recorder  picture

READ UNTESTED But Works Vintage Atari 410 Program Recorder

$34.50