Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: cant edit /etc/init.d/boot.local

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1

    cant edit /etc/init.d/boot.local

    I found a link on the web that mentioned how I can speed up my box. It suggested to add
    hdparm -X66 -d1 -u1 -m16 -c3 /dev/hda
    since I did that and did a reboot. I no longer can boot into suse. on startup the os just hangs. Its same even if i try to login in failsafe mode. I got knoppix, I browsed thru /mnt/hda3/ and wanted to comment the line in /etc/init.d/boot.local but I cant coz it says the file can be opened only in read only mode and I dont know how I can login as root and access /mnt/hda3

    I tried to login as su, and give the suse root passwd but still I cant edit the file.

    I am sort of frozen and need to get some imp. work done. Plz help!
    (my distro suse was so damn slow, which led me to do this in the beginning).. now it actually backfired!!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    1) Answer #6.

    2) if you need to be root, and I doubt that you do, use the su or sudo commands, use the man command to learn more.

Similar Threads

  1. Edit boot.ini
    By DarkLogan in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 02:54 PM
  2. edit boot.msg or use bootsplash?
    By mithereal in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 03:12 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 11:36 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 06:25 PM
  5. looking to edit boot image
    By pubecon in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 11:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95