Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: cant edit /etc/init.d/boot.local

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1

    cant edit /etc/init.d/boot.local

    I found a link on the web that mentioned how I can speed up my box. It suggested to add
    hdparm -X66 -d1 -u1 -m16 -c3 /dev/hda
    since I did that and did a reboot. I no longer can boot into suse. on startup the os just hangs. Its same even if i try to login in failsafe mode. I got knoppix, I browsed thru /mnt/hda3/ and wanted to comment the line in /etc/init.d/boot.local but I cant coz it says the file can be opened only in read only mode and I dont know how I can login as root and access /mnt/hda3

    I tried to login as su, and give the suse root passwd but still I cant edit the file.

    I am sort of frozen and need to get some imp. work done. Plz help!
    (my distro suse was so damn slow, which led me to do this in the beginning).. now it actually backfired!!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    1) Answer #6.

    2) if you need to be root, and I doubt that you do, use the su or sudo commands, use the man command to learn more.

Similar Threads

  1. Edit boot.ini
    By DarkLogan in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 02:54 PM
  2. edit boot.msg or use bootsplash?
    By mithereal in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 03:12 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 11:36 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 06:25 PM
  5. looking to edit boot image
    By pubecon in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 11:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$225.00



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections

$68.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$368.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Supermicro SYS6018RWTR Dual Intel E52620V4 21GHz DDR4 35 4Bay Server M1 G2U picture

Supermicro SYS6018RWTR Dual Intel E52620V4 21GHz DDR4 35 4Bay Server M1 G2U

$199.99