Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: HELP KNOPPIX Installation - DUAL BOOT with XP

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    11

    KNOPPIX 5.o

    I check the CD i downloaded and on th index. html it is showint KNOPPIX 5.0

    I tried to go to KNOPPIX and run mkfloppy.bat unde knoppix folder on CD but there is no such batch file on the folder not on the whole CD.

    Thanks,

    Chris

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: KNOPPIX 5.o

    Quote Originally Posted by technogeekchris
    I check the CD i downloaded and on th index. html it is showint KNOPPIX 5.0

    I tried to go to KNOPPIX and run mkfloppy.bat unde knoppix folder on CD but there is no such batch file on the folder not on the whole CD.
    I just booted from Knoppix 5.0.1, and there wasn't any program to create the boot-floppies. It seems that this has been removed from the Knoppix.
    So it's possible that you just can't use Knoppix on that computer.

    Maybe you should try some other Linux Distribution?

    While I was checking how to install Ubuntu, I found a program instlux from http://sourceforge.net/projects/instlux which claims to be able to install either Ubuntu 6.06 or OpenSuSE10.1 directly from WindowsXP.
    So if you still want to install Linux, and you have fast enough internet-connection, you could get instluxNETUbuntu6_06english.exe and try that. (You need internet-connection while installing as it will download all needed packages while installing.)

    (I don't have WindowsXP so I can't test that - so use at your own risk.)

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    11

    HI

    I am using ADSL on internet connection but its too slow if it will download while installing. Could you please just send me a link to download the KNOPPIX Version on CD that allows FLOPPY BOOT... thanks...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: HI

    Quote Originally Posted by technogeekchris
    I am using ADSL on internet connection but its too slow if it will download while installing. Could you please just send me a link to download the KNOPPIX Version on CD that allows FLOPPY BOOT... thanks...
    Knoppix 4.0.2 CD seems to allow floppy boot, but it most likely WILL NOT work properly after you install it because it's not meant to be installed but used as a LiveCD.
    So I won't give a link for that because it would just give you too much problems.

    You can allways use Google to try to find that if you insist on installing it. Just make sure that you have backup of all important files, and that you are able to reinstall Windows just in case that's needed.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    11

    Hi

    Ok, I have a 1GB USB flash disk. If I copy the installer on the USB Flash drive, Can I run it thru SBM loader? Will I be able to run knopix 5 installer? Thanks...

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: Hi

    Quote Originally Posted by technogeekchris
    Ok, I have a 1GB USB flash disk. If I copy the installer on the USB Flash drive, Can I run it thru SBM loader? Will I be able to run knopix 5 installer? Thanks...
    I don't really know. I don't have any USB drives.

    btw, I just noticed that in your first message you said:
    Quote Originally Posted by technogeekchris
    I want to install knoppix on D drive as singel parittion, dual boot with XP but i want to use my XP boot loader to select OS, SO if in case something happens, I can boot from XP and still my laptop is ok.
    I think that after installing Knoppix, you won't be using XP boot loader anymore but something else. So if something goes wrong it's quite possible that you won't be able to boot from XP anymore. (Still I havn't used Knoppix-installer so I don't know for sure.)

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    11

    hi

    Tahnks for ALL the help... I tried my best but i guess I will just go back to XP... I dont need KNOPPIX now, I just wasted alot of time now... I wanted to try but its not just possible... THANKS for all the HELP anyways........ BYE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot
    By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
  2. simple guide to dual boot installation of knoppix
    By GS750 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2007, 09:37 PM
  3. Dual Boot with XP Pro and Knoppix 3.9
    By Phantom69 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-21-2005, 03:38 AM
  4. Knoppix/Win2K Dual Boot using boot.ini
    By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
  5. Dual Boot Knoppix and Windows(Dual Boot)?
    By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99