-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
drb
Harry - there is an installer for etch but I would still struggle to get a fast, working version of sid on my PC. Although Kanotix is a LiveCD, it's development appears to be more geared to a HD install- not a lot different to getting an etch iso and installing it.
I didn't know that sid didn't share the etch installer, but I suspect that most people who would install a Live CD should be installing etch, not sid. Yea, I do understand that Kanotix is very hard disk friendly (unlike Knoppix), I just don't see a reason for it when etch installs so cleanly. My thinking is that people should use a live CD for an intro to Linux, but when it comes time to install Linux the first action shouldn't be "OK, now how do I copy everything here to hard disk?". They should at least look at a normal clean Debian install, without installing all of the aps crammed on a CD that they will never use. Particularly in this case where we have a shared install with XP on a small notebook drive. I just see too many people in the forums installing Kanotix (or worse Knoppix) because they don't understand that Debian can be installed cleanly and that they can have exactly the software they want easily and with no bloat.
Similar Threads
-
By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
-
By GS750 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-04-2007, 09:37 PM
-
By Phantom69 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 10-21-2005, 03:38 AM
-
By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
-
By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Cisco C9200L-24P-4X-E Catalyst 9200L 24-Port PoE+ 4x10G SFP+ Tested
$1499.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$205.00

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points
$30.00