Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: HELP KNOPPIX Installation - DUAL BOOT with XP

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    11

    Hi

    Hi, I alrweady downloaded a CD copy fo the knoppix installer. I couldnt find the Boot.img file that I needed to create the bootable floppy. COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME TO do the step by step procedure to make the BOOTABLE FLOPPY DISK.. I needed it for my laptop doesnt have a bootable CD drive. I only have the USB CD drive. Please help....... Otherwise, can someone please just email to me a ZIP copy of the bootable disk.... THanks...

  2. #12
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    See the downloading faq; use Smart Boot Manager (SBM) on a floppy rather than a Knoppix boot floppy. It not only will work and solve this problem, but it will let you boot any other Live CD also. (The old Knoppix boot floppy approach only worked for the version of Knoppix that it was created for.)
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    11

    Hi

    Could anyone please just help me where to get it or how to do it, instead of reading back agin to the forums. For i have tried looking and could not found. I just wanted to start doing the knoppix installation now. Please!!

    If anybody has a copy, kindly just send me zip copy to ccabatotan AT hotmail DOT com

    Thanks....

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: Hi

    Quote Originally Posted by technogeekchris
    Could anyone please just help me where to get it or how to do it, instead of reading back agin to the forums. For i have tried looking and could not found. I just wanted to start doing the knoppix installation now. Please!!

    If anybody has a copy, kindly just send me zip copy to ccabatotan AT hotmail DOT com

    Thanks....
    Check out http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Download...t_Boot_Manager
    I think you need to use the DOS-version for Windows XP as there are no Windows-versions listed.

    Anyway, Knoppix installation is not recommended. Maybe you should consider some other Linux Distribution like Ubuntu?

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    11

    UNABLE TO SEE CD ROM

    HI, I booted from the floppy on SBM but when SBM starte, THE CD ROM DRIVE WAS NOT DETECTED i can only see floppy and the 3 partitions I have created. HOW CAN I SEE THE CD ROM DRIVE.. My CD ROM IS A TEAC USB CD DRIVE... Please help so I can start the installation. THANKS...

  6. #16
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    11

    hi

    Anybody please help... how to detect my USB CD drive TEAC from SBM...

    Can i just make a FAT partition and copy the KNOPPIS CD installer from there and select that partition from SBM to boot from there? is this possible... plese help...

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: hi

    Quote Originally Posted by technogeekchris
    Anybody please help... how to detect my USB CD drive TEAC from SBM...
    I'm sorry but I don't really know about that.
    Maybe SBM just doesn't support your USB CD drive?

    Still, if you have access to another computer, you could try starting Knoppix on that computer. Then you could create the boot-floppies from Knoppix. (Once Knoppix has started, click on the penguin-icon on bottom-left of the screen and select Utilities->Create bootfloppies for KNOPPIX)

    I'd still suggest some other distro than Knoppix, but if you can't boot from the USB CD drive, then I'm not sure if you could install e.g. Ubuntu either.

    ps. What Knoppix version you have?

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: hi

    Quote Originally Posted by technogeekchris
    Anybody please help... how to detect my USB CD drive TEAC from SBM...
    Actually, I just found this help from here:

    When the Smart Boot Manager's menu appears, choose the menu option with "CDROM" in it, and press Enter. (don't think you need to install SBM to the HD - you can, but you don't need to.) If the CDROM option does not appear in your boot menu, press tab to see the Smart Boot Manager options and choose Rescan all boot records. The CDROM drive should now appear in your boot menu.

    EDIT: That page also says SBM also does not appear to recognize external USB cdrom drives...

  9. #19
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    11

    any other ways

    Hi, if it does not support USB CD drive, is there any other way to detect it. I want to try knoppix floppy boot disk. Can anyone just please send me acopy for i could not find it anywhere. I dotn want to touch my other machine. This is my first tym to install LINUX.

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: any other ways

    Quote Originally Posted by technogeekchris
    Hi, if it does not support USB CD drive, is there any other way to detect it. I want to try knoppix floppy boot disk. Can anyone just please send me acopy for i could not find it anywhere. I dotn want to touch my other machine. This is my first tym to install LINUX.
    What Knoppix-version you have? You need to tell that first before anyone could send you the boot-disks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot
    By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
  2. simple guide to dual boot installation of knoppix
    By GS750 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2007, 09:37 PM
  3. Dual Boot with XP Pro and Knoppix 3.9
    By Phantom69 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-21-2005, 03:38 AM
  4. Knoppix/Win2K Dual Boot using boot.ini
    By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
  5. Dual Boot Knoppix and Windows(Dual Boot)?
    By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



Vintage Apple Mac mini CIB (2009 Mod A1283) Original box/sealed manuals picture

Vintage Apple Mac mini CIB (2009 Mod A1283) Original box/sealed manuals

$450.00



Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage picture

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage

$249.00



Vintage StuffIt Deluxe Mac Software Box SEALED NEW Macintosh Aladdin Systems picture

Vintage StuffIt Deluxe Mac Software Box SEALED NEW Macintosh Aladdin Systems

$40.00



185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$90.00



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON ** picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON **

$99.99



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer Boots Up / Floppy Disk Stuck picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer Boots Up / Floppy Disk Stuck

$99.99



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works

$169.99



Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read picture

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read

$199.99



Vintage Apple Mac OS X Public Beta Complete Box Set CIB 2000 Kodiak pristine CD picture

Vintage Apple Mac OS X Public Beta Complete Box Set CIB 2000 Kodiak pristine CD

$28.00