-
knoppix 5.0.1 on HDD and DHCP
I lately switched from knoppix 4 to knoppix 5 and, prior to installing it on my hard drive, I configured eth0 with dhcp on the local network while running on the live CD.
Now, when booting from HDD, eth0 is configured if I am connected to the very same network I was connected to during the installation. When connected to any other dhcp network not only eth0 is not up, but netcardconfig does not work either. I have to manually give a static IP (ifconfig) and a default router (route add default gw ...) to get eth0 working.
/etc/network/interfaces looks correct
/etc/network/ifstate is replaced by /etc/network/ifstate.hotplug but I hadn't checked if it was already so when running a Debain comig from knoppix 4
So how does my Debian know what its first local network was? Is there a place where the orginal dhcp server could be 'hard-wired'?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Your post has been moved to the HD install forum from networking because, while there is some overlap, it is pretty clearly a problem created by the hard disk "install". If it's any comfort this is not the only networking problem seen after trying to do a Knoppix install, but if anyone can help you I expect it will be miore likely to be the people here than the people who avoid this forum.
-
I found the answer by chance, trying to configure my routers for video on IP.
The provider interface used to be a mere ADSL/Ethernet convertor and my Ethernet/Wifi router had got a public IP.
The last upgrade of that box is a real router get a public IP. My Wifi router gets a local IP on 192.168.1.0 from that box.
My local network is 192.168.0.0. The dhcp request from my knoppix laptop was redirected by my Wifi router (in spite its being a dhcp server for 192.168.0.0) to the ADSL router, which answered by giving an IP on 192.168.1.0. But that answer stayed stuck in the wifi router.
I still don't understand why the wifi router transmitted the dhcp request in the first place.
By now everything works by downgrading the wifi/Ethernet router to a wifi/ethernet hub.
Similar Threads
-
By jfern in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-04-2006, 12:01 PM
-
By goudiemark in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-21-2004, 07:26 AM
-
By J0hnP1pe in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-16-2004, 01:22 PM
-
By Sitting Bull in forum Networking
Replies: 7
Last Post: 04-29-2003, 02:15 AM
-
By rec9140 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-24-2003, 07:08 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB Internal 2.5 SSD Solid State Drive S/N S1D9NSAFB08570
$389.00

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working
$30.00

Samsung Galaxy Book2 360 (NP730QED-KA1US) **Broken Screen**
$225.00

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem
$98.99