-
Administrator
Site Admin-
OK, now I at least have a better understanding of the setup.
1 and 2 - I didn't understard that where you said that they gave you a router that it was actually a modem and router and that you had put aside your old modem. So this thakes several potential problems away.
I've looked over the link you gave, still can't find a manual for the router. Interesting that they set it up so it could only work on their system. I note that they say the NAT feature can be disabled, but it isn't in your case, answer 3 confirms that.
Just an observation, you only seem to get one ethernet port, so I suggest using a switch (or a hub) if you want to build a local network or give more than one computer access to the Internet at once.
3 - this looks good.
4 - hmm, the eth0 didn't show up at all here, I expected that it would, but as long as you don't get an error when you try to manually do a netcardconfig I'm not too concerned about that.
5 - Without knowing why DHCP is failing, doing the manual netcardconfig seem the next logical step. All of your input looks good. I don't know if that Nameserver (DNS) is valid, but I'll assume it is. If it's not them the symptom would be that you could access sites by the IP address but not by their URL.
OK, I have one suggested test to try at this point. It may sound strange, it should. But try the same thing using an IP address different from 192.168.1.2 for the computer's IP address. I know that the computer is being assigned that address in Windows, but there's an extremely slim chance that you could have a dhcp lease problem with that address (Which in no way explains why automatic DHCP is failing and really doesn't make any sense unless you know about a problem another user had about two years ago). But try putting in 192.168.1.10 or 192.168.1.100 and see if that works. I don't really have a lot of hope that this is going to fix anything, but I think it would be a shame not to try and then find out later that it was the problem.
And just to be real clear, when you did the ipconfig under windows, that was done on the same computer that we are trying to get Knoppix running on, right? We are not talking about two different computers here, are we?
6 - Well, at this point the data here looks right, although I want to fire up Linux and look at my interface's ifconfig to check a few things. Your hardware address sure has a lot of 00's in it, which is giving me some doubt. ifconfig is telling us that you're sending packets out but never getting anything back. And it doesn't seem to get any background chatter from the router, also strange. This leads me to a question that I should have asked but missed, and I don't think you've posted the answer yet. Just what is the NIC hardware that you're using to talk to the router? I'm wondering if it's some fancy NIC chipset that Knoppix isn't supporting yet. If it was I would have expected the manual netcardconfig to give an error, but it's the most obvious thing to ask at this point.
And there is only one ethernet port, right? You don't have a NIC card installed but also a NIC on your motherboard, do you? If you did it would be posiable that you are configuring eth0 but need to talk to eth1.
Assuming that you're running a normal supported 10/100 NIC that Knoppix should recognize, we need to determine just why the etho interface seems to be talking but never getting a response. To know that it would be helpful to see exactly what it's saying. There is a tool that will let us do just that, ethereal. I wrote up another entry on using it recently in this thread. You might want to read that thread through and then try capturing packets on the interface. We'll learn a lot by seeing if it's trying to access 192.168.1.1 when it should, and otherwise picking apart the packets to see how they differ from the windows packets that do get a response.
I would start ethereal even before trying to do a netcardconfig. Even the captured packets from answering yes to the dhcp question should tell us a lot. The packets for trying to access 192.168.1.1 with Konquror after doing the manual netcardconfig may tell us even more.
Hope that has given you more to think about and that maybe somewhere here I've stumbled across the answer.
Similar Threads
-
By ladyarcher44 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-21-2006, 10:56 PM
-
By Jorge Martνnez in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-07-2006, 11:27 PM
-
By compgeek in forum Networking
Replies: 10
Last Post: 01-06-2006, 10:52 PM
-
By Josh in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 02-24-2005, 05:17 AM
-
By Sance in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive β Latest September 2026
$12.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 β 3 DVD Set
$58.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS β Box + PSU
$649.00

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day
$188.24

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00