Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Keyboard trouble

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    15

    Keyboard trouble

    I have Installed Knoppix 3.3 on my hard drive. Somehow, the keyboard has gone nuts.
    I mean, when I press "y" it shows "z" etc. Also, the sequence of special characters seems to be altered.
    Is this some other keyboard layout? If yes, how do I change it??
    I remember that when I used to run it from CD, everything was fine. The online documentation says that on the boot prompt, you should type "knoppix keyboard=uk " etc etc, however, I have a dual boot system and don't see a boot prompt. Is there a permanent solution?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    117
    Hi,

    You appear to have a German keyboard layout. Not sure how you ended up with it. May be you downloaded a German version of Knoppix.

    Below is a solution which worked for someone with a different problem but who needed to set his X to UK keyboard. It involves editing the x.conf file. Perhaps it might work for you:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...ht=uk+keyboard

    Regards.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    15
    Well, here's some real BAD news. There's no xorg.conf file under /etc/X11 !!!!
    Now what do I edit??

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by horizon981
    Well, here's some real BAD news. There's no xorg.conf file under /etc/X11 !!!!
    Now what do I edit??
    Try either /etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. I have both but I'm not sure about which one should be edited.
    These files uses the same format as xorg.conf in newer Knoppixes.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    15
    Yes, I accidently figured that out. In XF86config, I can see something like this:

    section "keyboard"
    type: etc etc
    ......
    .....

    .....

    end section

    However, I already have
    # XkbLayout "us"

    as US. Now what to do?

    I tried another thing. I booted from cd with
    knoppix keyboard=uk lang=uk
    and again installed it onto hard drive but the problem persists.

    If the solution lies in re-installing, im ready for that. But plz tell what to do...

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by horizon981
    However, I already have
    # XkbLayout "us"
    You need to remove the '#' characted at the beginning of that line. Otherwise that line won't take any effect.
    (Lines starting with '#' in that file are ignored.)

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    15
    Well, I logged in as root user, and opened all the files containing "config" in their name in the X11 folder.
    I removed all #s in the section "Keyboard" and in a few files where XkbLayout was "de", changed it to "us".(what is "de"??)

    I rebooted and logged in as knoppix, and nothing has happened!!!

    This observation might be of interest:
    1.The keyboard works fine when running Knoppix from CD.
    2.The keyboard works fine for "root" user.
    3.The keboard does NOT work fine for "knoppix" user.

    HELP!!!!!

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    117
    "de" is the two-letter code which stands for "German" or "Germany".

    From the steps you have described, you have set the default keyboard layout to "US". Now you need to set it for the "knoppix" user.

    Try this:

    1) Open to the K menu at the lower left corner, select Settings > Control Center
    2) In Control Center, select Regional and Accessibility > Keyboard Layout
    3) You will see a whole list of available layouts. Ensure "us" has been selected as one of the "active layouts" in the right hand column. Use the up and down arrow buttons to move "us" to the top, above the other active layouts. Click "apply".
    4) You should now see a small US flag on the lower right of the task bar at the bottom of the screen.
    5) A quick way of switching between keyboard layouts is by right-clicking on the flag. Before you switched to "us", do you see a German flag there? It is composed of black, red and gold stripes. There are the letters "de" in it.

    Finally, since you are using a German version, and want to use it in English, can I strongly suggest that you download an English version instead? This will save you lots of other trouble later on, because you may find programmes popping up in German and there will be other settings you need to change. When downloading, look out for "en" in the file name, that will be the English version. E.g.

    KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-DE.iso (German version)
    KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso (English version)

    Regards.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    15
    Hey, thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THIS ONE WORKED!!

    THANKS ONCE AGAIN AND ONCE AGAIN AND ONCE AGAIN!!!

Similar Threads

  1. PT keyboard not US
    By xears in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-15-2007, 12:30 PM
  2. Sound Trouble + Modem Trouble on Knoppix 4.0
    By AJones in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 07:26 PM
  3. Only Have uk keyboard in kde.
    By Nails in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 03:11 PM
  4. Keyboard?
    By Jamsh in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2006, 02:39 PM
  5. Keyboard
    By Superhezka in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 03:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black picture

QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black

$500.00