-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Two hardware-related problems with Knoppix 5.0.1

Originally Posted by
DaXiuyi
2. Net connection. Konqueror seems to work fine, but Firefox just times out. I tried to use the network card configuration utility, but got a bit confused by the terms it asked for. Here's what I know from my Network connection settings in Windows XP: Address (assigned by DHCP), IP (xxx.xxx.1.2), Subnet (255.255.255.0) and Gateway (xxx.xxx.1.1). How do I get Knoppix to reflect this? I also tried to use the ADSL configuration utility, and I jst get timeouts all the time :S
I can't answer you first question. 2 looks interesting, although I don't have a good theory about what is going on yet. In my mind if Konquror works then Firefox should too. Can you tell us more about your configuration? You mention ADSL but never mention pppoe configuration. Are you using a router (which I very highly recommend doing)? It looks that way from the little bit of the IP that you let us see, but if that's the case it's just ignorant to hide the 192.168.2.1 entire address (or other private unroutable IP asddress). Such addresses can't be reached fron the Internet, millions of people are using the same addresses, and there is no reason to hide it and good reason to show it, particularly when you are trying to get help resolving this problem.
If you are using a router then Knoppix should be doing a dhcp handshake at boot time. post what it is getting (the full numbers, not partial munged numbers), by posting the output of ifconfig. You can also set these values by doing a netcardconfig and answering the dhcp question in the negative, but I would like to see the ifconfig output first. It looks like the handshake may be failing, but that doesn't really explain Konquror working and Firefix not. I suspect it may be some strange proxy issue, but that's a very wild guess.
And if you are using a router the make and model and even firmware revision may help. Some modern DSL modems have a router built in, so check that. And you might want to look into the availability of a flash update for the router and if you are at the current firmware level.
Similar Threads
-
By Dark_W0lf in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-12-2006, 08:47 PM
-
By Doppelbock in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-19-2004, 01:21 AM
-
By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
-
By Yattaman in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-23-2003, 07:10 PM
-
By iconfly in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-03-2003, 07:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00

Netac 512GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC
$73.00