-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Two hardware-related problems with Knoppix 5.0.1

Originally Posted by
DaXiuyi
Am trying to get my Knoppix 5.0.1 to work, and it's doing great apart from 2 things:
1. Printers. I have a Samsung ML-1710 and when I try and configure it using the Configure Printers utility, I keep getting told that the driver doesn't exist. An earlier post suggested trying to configure it as a similar printer for which drivers exist (e.g. Samsung ML-1210), and I tried that, except it doesn't seem to work for any similar printers

Printers are fubar'd in 5.02 as per Klaus from the debian-knoppix list. Its a permissions issue. I had to go back to 4.02 due that issue alone as if I can't print I can't work.

Originally Posted by
DaXiuyi
2. Net connection. Konqueror seems to work fine, but Firefox just times out. I tried to use the network card configuration utility, but got a bit confused by the terms it asked for. Here's what I know from my Network connection settings in Windows XP: Address (assigned by DHCP), IP (xxx.xxx.1.2), Subnet (255.255.255.0) and Gateway (xxx.xxx.1.1). How do I get Knoppix to reflect this? I also tried to use the ADSL configuration utility, and I jst get timeouts all the time :S
Did you try to let it set things via DHCP and it failed when you ran the netcard config script ?
If not, then let it try to set things via the script and via DHCP. DHCP will answer all the questions for the script automatically. Some routers can be incompatible with DHCP on Knoppix and then you will need to run it manually.
If you run ipconfig /all from a command prompt on a winvirus box and write the output down the important items:
IP Address = same in the script
Netmask = should ALWAYS bee 255.255.255.0 (Would only change in very specific instances, not likely in a home net)
Default Gateway = your ROUTER's IP, which in the winworld is normaly 192.168.0.1, or 192.168.1.1 NOT 192.168.1.254 like *nix
Name Server = DNS Servers You can either use the ones provided from the ISP, or use your router for the DNS/Nameserver. Most modern soho type rotuers will act as a DNS proxy and forward on your request to the WAN side.
Give the DHCP option a try and then post back.
Similar Threads
-
By Dark_W0lf in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-12-2006, 08:47 PM
-
By Doppelbock in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-19-2004, 01:21 AM
-
By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
-
By Yattaman in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-23-2003, 07:10 PM
-
By iconfly in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-03-2003, 07:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

A Mini Windows Server w Xeon E3 Processor & (2) 500GB Hard Drive-Home/Industrial
$319.00