-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Two hardware-related problems with Knoppix 5.0.1
Ok, thanks for that guys. Like I said, I'm a real newb :P I'll focus on the Net connection then and explain what I can (as you can see, might not be much)
I'm on an ADSL (512/12
connection using a Netcomm NB5Plus4 ADSL Modem and Router (Netcomm are an Australian manufacturer, so I've attached the link to it here). From the info I've pulled out of Win XP, my connection info is:
IP: 192.168.1.2, Subnet: 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway=DHCP=DNS=192.168.1.1, Physical Address: 00-11-D8-B5-37-7E (if that helps). Sorry for not putting up the info before, I thought it was some sort of security thing...
I tried to use the netcardconfig utility and when I allow DHCP it runs automatically and closes itself. The output from ifconfig is below:
knoppix@1[knoppix]$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11
8:B5:37:7E
inet addr:192.168.1.2 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::211:d8ff:feb5:377e/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:2228 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2535 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:2210393 (2.1 MiB) TX bytes:576835 (563.3 KiB)
Interrupt:22 Base address:0xa000
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:18 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:18 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:900 (900.0 b) TX bytes:900 (900.0 b)
Umm, what does this mean? Hope this is what you're after...
When I run the ADSL config utility it detects eth0, then tries the first task (times out), then tries it again (times out again), returns an error message ("check your cable settings etc") and then closes itself.
Hope the information helps, and many thanks for your patience. Let me know if there's further stuff I need to post.
As for Firefox, when it first starts up an update window opens saying "checking for compatability updates to your Extensions" and it just hangs.
As for my printer, that's kind of frustrating. Now I know linuxprinting.org has linux drivers available for my printer, but if I were to download them, where would I put them so that once I boot Knoppix it detects them and works? Would anywhere work so that I can load them manually?
Many thanks.
Similar Threads
-
By Dark_W0lf in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-12-2006, 08:47 PM
-
By Doppelbock in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-19-2004, 01:21 AM
-
By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
-
By Yattaman in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-23-2003, 07:10 PM
-
By iconfly in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-03-2003, 07:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL SOLID STATE DRIVE
$189.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99