-
Junior Member
registered user
What to install?
I have the following distributions:
Mandrake 10.1 (I cannot find any support on the Internet regarding this Distro, which puts me off a little)
Suse Live dvd 9.2 (Won't work live as it cannot detect RAM or something, so I'm worried it will do the same when I install)
Ubuntu Linux (Lagged terribly when I ran it as a Live CD, and I didn't like the look of the GUI)
Knoppix 3.7 (Installation not reccomended)
Mandrake 10.1 Powerpack seems most appealing currently, what do you think? I'm setting up partitions now for a dual boot, hopefully I'll have something sorted out soon.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: What to install?

Originally Posted by
samhainbaphomet
what to install?
You may wish to start here for help in sorting them out.
Mandrake is the old name of the distro now called Mandriva. I wouldn't mess with anything old enough to have the old name.
Ubuntu has many happy users, but I was unimpressed with the LiveCD as a live CD and have not installed it. I see no reason to install it over Debian, which it is based on, unless you find that Debian does not have some hardware support you want and Ubuntu does. If you want the KDE gui and Ubuntu then install Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu, but with Debian you can just install whatever GUI you want.
I advise against installing Knoppix, this is known to cause many problems. If Knoppix works for you as a Live CD and you like what you see, then I suggest, as long as you have a high speed connection, doing a Net-install of Debian Etch. The net-install ISO is a little over 100 meg, boots from CD, detects your high speed connection (as long as you are not foolish enough to run DSL without a router) and installs everything else it needs from the Internet. If you don't have a high speed connection then I suggest obtaining install CD #1 (#1 is fine, you don't need the whole set of 19) and installing from that,
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks!
Well I attempted to install Suse, but got an error about something being out of sync and a kernel panic so I have no idea what to do with that. Kubuntu sounds interesting
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
samhainbaphomet
Kubuntu sounds interesting

Lots of choices for different people, but as I said before I see no reason to install it over Debian, which it is based on, unless you find that Debian does not have some hardware support you want and Ubuntu does.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB
$82.00

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$167.63

Compressed Air Duster 1 Button Adjustment 12000 RPM Air Blower Car Home Keyboard
$38.99

Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys
$16.99

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

Vacuum/Air Duster Super Power Mini Car Vacuum Cleaner 4-in-1 air Blower Gun
$64.35

BOC Edwards EXT70 B722-05-000 G1946-80002 Turbomolecular Vacuum Pump ISO63
$100.00

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$106.14

Vacuum-Sealed 3D Printing Filament Kit, 20 Packs Lightproof Storage Bags with
$38.98