It isn't Knoppix (basic or otherwise) and it does work . . . very well!
Sorry, but I totally disagree with you. Kanotix is my first choice for LiveCD and HD-install.I tried Kanotix and was very disappointed, It is basically Knoppix that doesn't work.
It isn't Knoppix (basic or otherwise) and it does work . . . very well!
Kanotix is very nice and works very well, I was going to switch to Kanotix until I found out that the developers/mods at the forum don't give help to remasters and speak out against remastering -- I find that attitude a bit unfair considering that Kanotix is a much reworked remaster of Knoppix. Just open a Kanotix console and you see the username is knoppix -- the CDrom file structure says /cdrom/KNOPPIX.....
Jacky, you're right, remastering is a sore point. But the developers don't interfere with users' attempts to remaster Kanotix. You can openly discuss this topic in the forum, even complain about it, and there's also some information on it in the Wiki. Unfortunately Kanotix has much less users than Knoppix, so there aren't enough advanced users to start a serious discussion.
Ockham23, what annoyed me was that in one of the threads about remastering (I think you were there as a participant), the mod appeared to be withholding knowledge. He said that most howtos on the net were incomplete or even false........and would not work with Kanotix........., which suggests that he had some inside knowledge about the right way to do it, but was not telling. This somehow seems to violate the spirit of free software.
The mod gave some reasons why Kanotix should not be remastered, but ignored many good reasons why remastering is necessary. Like the Italian professor who wanted to put some stuff so that his students would be attracted to use Linux for schoolwork, for example. Or something very simple, like needing to add a language pack.
Anyway if you are planning to remaster Kanotix, why don't you document the steps and post it here. I am sure users here would appreciate it, and so would a number of Kanotix forum people. I will add to it when I get round to trying a remaster myself.
It's not about agreement or disagreement it's just Kanotix just doesn't work for me on my hardware...I'll stick with KnoppixOriginally Posted by ockham23
What hardware do you have, in particular which hardware didn't work. It would be interesting to know what didn't work with Kanotix but somehow works with other distros.
I've been using a remastered Kanotix distribution called Paipix for my hard disk OS for the
past six months and been very happy with it.
http://aamorimsrv.fis.fc.ul.pt/tikiw...page=PaiPix_EN
gives details.
Until I read this thread I didn't know about Kanotix developers antipathy towards remastering, which surprises me, but that is one advantage of free software: At the end of the day it's not important what they think in this regard, because they can't dictate and say "you mustn't remaster", they can just advise you. Nine months ago Kanotix was the only distribution to recognise all my hardware, in particular a Gigabit Lan.
See
http://i915ga.gratiswiki.dk/cgi-bin/...l?Mark_Preston
As a more general observation I would say that for any particular PC hardware it may be a good idea to have a variety of Linux distros available for possible installation, because one or more probably won't install happily. This is a big advantage of live distros - you can try the live version and if it won't boot then you just move on to another, or start messing with the cheatcodes![]()
I finally got Kanotix to work....unfortunately I don't like it as much as Knoppix....it is pretty awesome overall I just prefer Knoppix installed on my hard drive....Originally Posted by drb
It would be helpful if a kanotix user could list the pros and cons of using Kanotix and what is fundamentally different from Kanotix and Knoppix?
See slam's contribution to "why was Kanotix created"
http://kanotix.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopi...order-asc.html
The emphasis of Knoppix appears to still be towards LiveCD use. The Kanotix LiveCD is a LIveCD but also is a great starting point for a HD install with excellent Debian Sid compatibility. My Kanotix install has been dist-upgraded every day for the last 11 months and it hasn't broken yet with numerous package installations over that period.

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6
$210.00
LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ
$469.95
Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM
$74.50
LOT OF 6 Samsung 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V M386A8K40BM2-CTD6Q Server RAM
$1799.99
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Lot of 3~BAD~NON-WORKING Micron 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V-LE2 Server RAM Memory DDR4
$600.00
Lot of 2~BAD~NON-WORKING Micron 64GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB3 Server RAM Memory DDR4
$400.00
LOT OF 2 SK Hynix 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA ECC HMA81GR7CJR8N-XN
$89.95
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98