I have an obsolete Compac 2286 Presario that I want to install Knoppix CD on. I’ve already successfully installed SimplyMepis on. When I attempt Knoppix, it starts OK & I get the first screen that instructs how to enable the various options. However, after that the video fails from that point on! All I get is a couple of bands of trash. I’ve tried every video options suggested on the start up menu & listed on the cheat.txt.
Admittedly, the video card in this PC must be quirky. I had to eliminate the vga=791 SimplyMepis had selected for its start up line. However, Big Daddy Linux has successfully started from CD on this PC with no intervention on my part.
Things I’ve tried unsuccessfully so far:
Koppix
vga=791, 788, 773 & 771
vga=normal
2
failsafe
etc.

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
Intel Core i7-14700KF 20-Core 3.4GHz LGA1700 33MB Cache CPU SRN3Y
$310.00
AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
Intel Core i5/i7/i9 AMC CPU Processors, LOT of 90 pcs
$18000.00
Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99
Intel Core Ultra 7 265K 3.9GHz LGA 1851 Processor
$249.99
AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99