Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: card reader detected not mount-able

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33

    card reader detected not mount-able

    On a PC normally driven bu Debian etch, knoppix 5.0.1 from CD detects card reader

    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0dda:2005 Integrated Circuit Solution, Inc.
    Device Descriptor:
    bLength 18
    bDescriptorType 1
    bcdUSB 2.00
    bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
    bDeviceSubClass 0
    bDeviceProtocol 0
    bMaxPacketSize0 64
    idVendor 0x0dda Integrated Circuit Solution, Inc.
    idProduct 0x2005
    bcdDevice 1.6b
    iManufacturer 1 ICSI
    etc

    $ dmesg | grep sd
    detected as sda

    It is not mounted by launching knoppix from CD with card reader inseeterd.

    Trying to mount it like in Debian
    mnt#mkdir flash
    #mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash
    device sda1 does not exist

    #mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/flash (which is wrong per se)
    no medium found

    before going to buy an expensive 9GB flash card I would like to be able to mount this card reader (Sony card memStick)

    Thanks for help
    francesco pietra

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    117
    Hello,

    I am sorry, I cannot be sure what your problem is, as I have been trying, but my Sony memory stick always mount with no problems. I only have 2 suggestions:

    1) After Knoppix has finished starting up, have you tried removing the memory stick and reinserting? This could lead Knoppix to detect the memory stick.

    2) (This is a stupid suggestion I know -- but it happened to me before) Is it possible that your memory stick is inserted upside down? On my card reader, it is possible to insert the memory stick upside down! When I did that and tried to mount, I got the same error message you got: "device sda1 does not exist".


    P.S. Wow, there is a 9GB flash card? How much does it cost?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33

    reply card reader

    No the cardreader/Sony memstick are used as on Debian (where they work)

    Extracting and reinserting the Sony memstick did not help.

    The 9GB was priced 118 euros (VAT included) in Pisa. I did not check either the brand or the guaranty for how many writing sessions.

    As to my problems above (similar to those with the Ethernet, se accompanying mail on forum), I suffer from lack of clear indications about filesystems into play. I looked on knoppix at /etc/fstab and run df -h, fdisk ..., all largely different from what is seen on Debian. Surely by deepening the matter one might be able to compare, but it takes time, which I lack. It is the common fault of software: a lot of indications on click here and there, and a lack of clear statements at the beginning where the filesystems are and at what purpose.

    Cheers
    francesco

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3
    I know this isn't helpful, but I will chime in and say that I have a similar issue with a PCMCIA CF reader. Unfortunately, I already own a 2GB CF card, and it would be perfect for use as storage under knoppix. I tried your mounting commands just for laughs, and I got the same "no special device" error, too. I hope that a Knoppix guru has some advice for you and for me. Best of luck.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3
    I got my CF PCMCIA reader to work on my Sony laptop by not plugging in the card until after udev had autoconfigured the devices. It seems that there is a bug that will not let CF cards in PCMCIA adapters be mounted more than once. On my Sony, it resets the device right before the X manager starts (in this case KDE). If I wait until I've entered KDE, it works. If I try it with the card inserted, and go through boot, it doesn't work. Hope this works for you. It works for my Sony GRT170, but does not work on my Clevo M400a no matter what I do.

Similar Threads

  1. Cannot mount CF Card in PCMCIA Reader
    By Aerows in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-2006, 02:45 AM
  2. digicam or card reader detected by setup but not kde
    By monogram in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2005, 09:44 PM
  3. USB Card reader
    By lotech in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2005, 03:27 AM
  4. Mount USB 6-in-1 Multi-Flash card reader without recompile
    By spurious in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-15-2004, 10:18 PM
  5. Compact Flash different sizes in USB reader - wiil not mount
    By stukennedyuk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 03:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$123.90



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health picture

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health

$35.99



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



128GB SSD M.2 PCIE NVME Solid State Drive Mix Brand Samsung, WD, SK Hynix Kioxia picture

128GB SSD M.2 PCIE NVME Solid State Drive Mix Brand Samsung, WD, SK Hynix Kioxia

$16.59



Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD  picture

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD

$13.00



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00