Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: problem with using netgear fa311

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    7

    problem with using netgear fa311

    when using the netgear fa311 NIC, networking works fine under windows, but when this network card is used under knoppix, it doesnt seem to work at all. when i typed "ifconfig -a", it showed my loopback device, 127.0.0.1 (localhost), and my network card ( i presume) with its MAC/hardware address, but not IP address. however, i did notice there were transmit errors shown at the bottom for this network card.

    i have a dhcp server running off the network, but it doesnt see it. even manually assigning an IP address doesn't allow it to ping to other systems on the network. and when i typed "ifconfig -a" again, it'll show even more transmit errors for the network card.

    i have tried changing the irq for this card thru the BIOS (orginally it was IRQ 18 according to ifconfig, but after changing interrupt mode from APIC to PIC, IRQ was set to IRQ10). unfortunately, this made no difference either

    i have, however, other PCs with this type of network card and knoppix networking works fine (ie. finds the dhcp server, and internet works, etc.)

    hope this query hasnt already been answered in this forum b4...
    if so, i would appriecate it if u could point me in the right direction!!!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Based on the facts you presented (running Windows on the same card, card is known to work under Linux), you might want to read the topic here I started titled Evidence WinXP "security updates" may break Linux. It sounds like the same symptoms I experienced.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    7
    thanx for your reply Harry! i did forget to mention that this network card + computer combo DOES work with other Linux Live-CDs with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever (eg. Slackware-Live CD, http://www.slackware-live.org). Also, I don't think I've installed WinXP with this network card or computer b4.

    Also, does EEPROM refer to the BOOT ROM (PXE)? If so, I don't think this network card has one.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Based on the facts you presented (running Windows on the same card, card is known to work under Linux), you might want to read the topic here I started titled Evidence WinXP "security updates" may break Linux. It sounds like the same symptoms I experienced.
    I think you're barking up the wrong tree this time.

    What kernel version is Knoppix using? I used to have a problem with errors too, until I enabled the "Natsemi Cable Magic" option. This option was removed in later kernels (the workaround was integrated for affected cards):

    http://www.kernelnewbies.org/kernels...natsemi_fixes1
    + version 1.0.15:
    + * Get rid of cable_magic flag
    + * use new (National provided) solution for cable magic issue

    [...]
    +static void do_cable_magic(struct net_device *dev)
    +{
    + /*
    + * 100 MBit links with short cables can trip an issue with the chip.
    + * The problem manifests as lots of CRC errors and/or flickering
    + * activity LED while idle. This process is based on instructions
    + * from engineers at National.
    [...]

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    7
    ahhh.. ic

    i think you're onto something Ironi. I'm using the latest version of knoppix (version 3.2), which i believe has kernel version 2.4.20 (from memory). so how do i enable this "Natsemi Cable Magic" option? will i have to recompile the kernel? or is there an option i can turn on?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ryoken
    ahhh.. ic

    i think you're onto something Ironi. I'm using the latest version of knoppix (version 3.2), which i believe has kernel version 2.4.20 (from memory). so how do i enable this "Natsemi Cable Magic" option? will i have to recompile the kernel? or is there an option i can turn on?
    It used to be that you'd have to select it as an option in the kernel config (if natsemi's not modular, that means recompiling).

    However, this shouldn't be an issue with 2.4.20. Just checked myself, and it has the fix already (natsemi.c version 1.0.17). It must be something else.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    7
    damn! thanx for your help anyway! much appreicated!!!

    but must say that this is bugging me... i must admit that knoppix is one of the better live-cd's i've used, and its annoying how i cant get the internet and network card working grrr...

    i'm still open for further suggestions!!!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3

    I must be a minority... FA311 works for me

    My FA311 works without a hitch. I *did* have to replace one that acted "glitchy". I run mine by booting the CD on what would otherwise be a WinXP network computer to do Linux computing and to afford me the capability to move my Linux environment (I teach at a college which is a steadfast MS supporter ). I also give it to Linux students to learn from in a non-destructive environment on their home computers. It's worked great for over a year.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    7

    Re: I must be a minority... FA311 works for me

    Quote Originally Posted by zhrinze
    My FA311 works without a hitch. I *did* have to replace one that acted "glitchy"... It's worked great for over a year.
    Thanks for posting here... this thread was gettin quite stale!

    Hmm... by now, my Knoppix version is quite a bit out of date. Maybe the new one may have fixed this issue I'm experiencing.

    Maybe yours works bcoz its a different version to mine. Are you using this Knoppix ISO, "KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-05-03-EN.iso"?

Similar Threads

  1. Netgear help
    By Kite516 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2005, 10:14 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.6 Netgear WG511 Problem
    By eizo in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 02:52 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 09:29 PM
  4. FA311 Debian net install
    By Edix in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 09:20 AM
  5. network not working: netgear FA311
    By cbare in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-08-2003, 11:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72