Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Loading modules at boot time.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bath, England
    Posts
    6

    Loading modules at boot time.

    Can someone explain simply this; I wish to load the module snd-seq automaticaly at boot time with knoppix V5.
    I've read the man pages but they just confuse me and lead me around in circles.
    I will be greatful for any help, thanks.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    77
    Hi there
    What are you trying to configure?
    If it's sound use in su root
    ]$ alsaconf

    I hope this helps
    ]$ lspci
    This gives a readout of your hardware
    take note of 'audo'.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bath, England
    Posts
    6
    I already have sound, but if I want to use qjackctrl which I use with qsynth and rosegarden I must have that particular module loaded or qjackctrl gives error messages and will not run. If however I type modprobe snd-seq in a terminal qjackctrl works perfectly with no errors afterwards. I'd just like to have it automatically load at boot time(snd-seq).
    I think I'm supposed to use modutils but the instructions don't seem to tell me how to actually do it.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    77
    Right. modprobe snd-seq sets it to the kernel.
    check out ]$ lspci before and after insertion
    Is it not being saved by persistent home or better?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by coltrane4
    I'd just like to have it automatically load at boot time(snd-seq).
    What about putting an entry in '/etc/modules'? Just a guess, not tested myself

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bath, England
    Posts
    6
    Tried editing the modules file but the entry seems to be automatically removed by knoppix, and apparently you're not supposed to edit the modules.conf file directly. I'm totally confused

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by coltrane4
    ... you're not supposed to edit the modules.conf file directly. I'm totally confused
    What I was referenced to is not '/etc/modules.conf' but '/etc/modules' instead

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bath, England
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by maxIT
    Quote Originally Posted by coltrane4
    ... you're not supposed to edit the modules.conf file directly. I'm totally confused
    What I was referenced to is not '/etc/modules.conf' but '/etc/modules' instead
    I tried using the /etc/modules again just to make sure, but the same thing happens again, the entry is
    removed at boot time and module not loaded. I know you could do that on older versions of different
    distributions, I've done it myself, but not now.
    Still not sure where I'm supposed to make the entry, but I'll keep looking.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by coltrane4
    I tried using the /etc/modules again just to make sure, but the same thing happens again, the entry is
    removed at boot time and module not loaded. I know you could do that on older versions of different
    distributions, I've done it myself, but not now.
    Still not sure where I'm supposed to make the entry, but I'll keep looking.
    It's quite possible that this is a knoppix_strictly_related_issue in the same way as es. the 'fstab' entries that are overwritten at every reboot without putting the 'nofstab' cheatcode in lilo or grub.
    The '/etc/modules' file, in a well_debian_compliant distro, should be the correct file to edit, in order to obtain the modules being loaded at boot time.
    This article seems to confirm my thought
    Even in the same way as the 'fstab' issue, still a cheat-code can help here, maybe 'modules-disk'?

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    77
    Ok
    To get snd-seq loaded try this:
    make a copy
    cp /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig0
    then write in the knoppix-autoconfig about line number 789

    # Load snd-seq module
    modprobe snd-seq >/dev/null 2>&1

    and save it
    check out lspci before and after configuration on:
    snd

    see if this works

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can't Boot after Probing/Loading AGP modules on Intel D945G
    By sudeepak in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 11:55 PM
  2. Loading modules on a remastered knoppix
    By s-r-b in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2006, 03:52 PM
  3. Loading new modules in knoppix!!
    By soumya in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2006, 08:09 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-23-2004, 03:57 AM
  5. modules in /etc/modules not loading
    By gus in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 09:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$101.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler picture

GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler

$250.00



MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen picture

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen

$59.99