Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: alsa problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4

    alsa problems

    I did the hard drive install and got everything working except ALSA. That includes the Nvidia driver for my Geforce2 card, printing, ADSL connection, everything I tried. Boy was I impressed. Then I tried Ardour and quickly realized it wasn't going anywhere without ALSA. So I found the "/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig" command discussed here, tried it, and immediately lost X-windows. When it tried to get to KDM, it just flickered a few times and defaulted to the command line prompt. No message or hint as to what was wrong.
    Well, I noticed that there was a new version of Knoppix out, with updates to ALSA. I also figured maybe I need to get ALSA working before I mess with the Nvidia drivers. So I started all over again. This time it didn't kill X, (I haven't tried the Nvidia driver yet), but it's still not working. When I try XMMS with the ALSA plugin selected, I get the standard "You've got the wrong plugin selected or Something's in the way of the soundcard or Soundcard is not properly configured" message.

    My system:
    Albatron KX400 with AMD XP 2100+ 512 DDR
    Dual booting Windows XP and linux on one 40G Western Digital drive.
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card and onboard VIA sound system.
    Nvidia Geforce2 AGP.

    The onboard sound was enabled on install. I tried shutting it off afterward and it made no difference. I don't think Knoppix likes it. Seems like I saw an error message about it on install. Should I disable onboard sound and try the install again?

    This isn't much to go on, I know, but I don't know enough to get meaningful error messages at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

    --Chase

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4
    OK, then let me ask another question. Has anybody gotten ALSA to work in version 3.3? How about 3.2?

Similar Threads

  1. alsa 1.0.6
    By Dextro in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 07:49 PM
  2. Alsa problem; alsa-autoconfig does not work
    By ScreamingTemporalDoom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 08:48 AM
  3. problems with alsa alsa-autoconfig doesn't seem to work
    By dzogchen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 06:37 AM
  4. ALSA problems
    By DimGR in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 06:33 PM
  5. ALSA / XMMS problems
    By DimGR in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 04:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



HP ProLiant DL380 Gen 9 - 2x Intel Xeon 2nd Gen - 320GB - 3x 147GB HDD picture

HP ProLiant DL380 Gen 9 - 2x Intel Xeon 2nd Gen - 320GB - 3x 147GB HDD

$2000.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$149.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$381.93



HP ProLiant DL380 Gen 9 - 2x Intel Xeon 2nd Gen - 160 GB DDR4 - 3x147 GB HDD picture

HP ProLiant DL380 Gen 9 - 2x Intel Xeon 2nd Gen - 160 GB DDR4 - 3x147 GB HDD

$2000.00



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections

$68.00