-
Senior Member
registered user
I respect Harry's tendency to be conservative, after all he has hosed 3 disks in 3 years.
However I have personal, recent and frequent experience of writing to NTFS with Knoppix, using the latest tools from the Linux-NTFS project (see: http://www.linux-ntfs.org/ and particularly the references to ntfs-3g, which is the latest tool). Note that this is not included with Knoppix and you have to install it yourself.
I have posted some of my results of testing ntfs-3g on this forum. What I can say from my experiments and stress-testing of Linux writing to NTFS is that significant progress has been made in the last few months, but I consider it a bleeding edge experimental capability. I have not encountered major problems, and neither have the many others who have been testing ntfs-3g. But that does not mean problems won't arise. There are risks and unknown unknowns, so only do it if you are keen to be part of the community of users willing to experiment and take risks in order to help the Linux-NTFS developers push the frontiers.
Having said all that, I must also say that, given the description of your usage scenario (copying a few files back and forth), Harry's advice and suggested method is correct and the best one for your needs. There's no need to add additional risks and complexities to these simple tasks.
If however you are still interested in experimenting and testing with NTFS, let me know and I'll give you more details.
Similar Threads
-
By jacksonon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-01-2006, 02:10 AM
-
By satimis in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-27-2006, 06:25 PM
-
By jscinoz in forum The Lounge
Replies: 11
Last Post: 10-02-2005, 01:35 PM
-
By itaydagani in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-02-2005, 12:53 AM
-
By KnoppIXuser in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-19-2003, 07:42 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.98