Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: KNOPPIX from CD with data & programs on external HD

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33

    KNOPPIX from CD with data & programs on external HD

    I am nearly sure that my question was already answered. If so, please address me to that point that I was unable to find and accept my apologies.

    For a scientific travel - unaware of the hardware I'll found - I plan to bring with me KNOPPIX 5.0.1 on CD and an external USB/Fireware HD (I dropped the idea of flash card because uncertain if it will run on any hardware - I had problems with mine - and very expensive in large size) for my data and special programs. That is, I would like to put on the external HD my debian home which includes both pure debian programs and wine for a couple of non-unix programs I need.

    I do not intend to remaster KNOPPIX (if not essential to what I intend to do), nor of running it from HD because speed is no problem for what I need.

    I just got the USB/Firewire HD to be partitioned, formatted, and worked out.

    Thanks a lot for any help.

    francesco pietra

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Posts
    118
    I think this is what might help
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Pivot_Root_Install

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by patelbhavesh
    I think this is what might help
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Pivot_Root_Install
    He said that he didn't want to install Knoppix, so I don't think that would help.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: KNOPPIX from CD with data & programs on external HD

    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco Pietra
    I am nearly sure that my question was already answered. If so, please address me to that point that I was unable to find and accept my apologies.

    For a scientific travel - unaware of the hardware I'll found - I plan to bring with me KNOPPIX 5.0.1 on CD and an external USB/Fireware HD (I dropped the idea of flash card because uncertain if it will run on any hardware - I had problems with mine - and very expensive in large size) for my data and special programs. That is, I would like to put on the external HD my debian home which includes both pure debian programs and wine for a couple of non-unix programs I need.

    I do not intend to remaster KNOPPIX (if not essential to what I intend to do), nor of running it from HD because speed is no problem for what I need.

    I just got the USB/Firewire HD to be partitioned, formatted, and worked out.
    So first you need to partition the HD. If you don't know how to use the tools included in Knoppix (e.g. fdisk, cfdisk), then you could try GParted LiveCD (~30MB) instead to do the partitioning.

    After you have partitioned it (maybe a single FAT32 partition), just start Knoppix and see if you get an icon for it on the desktop.
    I havn't used any USB/Firewire HDs so I don't know how well Knoppix supports them.

    After that just click on the icon to use it, and right-click the icon and select "Actions->Change read/write mode" to make the partition writable.

    If you want Knoppix to save your home-directory (and maybe other changes in the filesystem) there automatically, you need to create a "persistent home" on that HD. (In Knoppix 4.0.2 it's at KMenu->KNOPPIX->Configure->"Create a persistent KNOPPIX disk image")

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: KNOPPIX from CD with data & programs on external HD

    About the Firewire support:

    I just noticed a thread on debian-knoppix list in which someone had problems with Knoppix 5.0.1 and Firewire HDs while Knoppix 4.0.2 worked.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33

    Install Knoppix501 on usb/firewire external HD

    Hi all who helped a lot:
    I examined your suggestions and decided that Pivot Root Install is just what I need. Unbelivable possibility were it not true.

    Preliminarily I tried on my i386 (drawback: live knoppix501 refuses networking; on my amd64 it networks, though I can not use the machine because APC broken and HD raid too expensive to be used without protection). So I have to proceed with i386.

    On sda (unformatted Samsung 80 GB), following
    #knoppix-installer
    I used qtparted., though I was in doubt how to go on because of my limited knowledge (I only know how to use debian installer, raid or no raid). Well, I devised to partition as follows:
    / (root) (ext3 10GB)
    /swap (linux-swap 3 GB)
    /usr (ext3 10GB)
    /var (ext3 3GB)
    /tmp (ext3 3GB)
    /home (ext3 30GB)

    Now the doubts:
    I set up /, /saw, and /usr as primary partitions, filesystems as above. I thought I have exhausted possibilities for primary partitions and went to extended partitions. I could just set one (with no specification of filesystem). Then, the remaining free disk refused to be partitioned further.

    The question is how to modify my obviously wrong procedure and if the stated partitions are advisable, or better just a couple of partitions. I am used at that partitioning scheme on debian, though I can change if necessary.

    Once the system is up, do you expect that networking difficulties on my i386 may be overcome for apt-get?

    Thanks for your exquisite kindness

    francesco

Similar Threads

  1. Retriving data from Maxtor external HDD
    By weswood88 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 02:15 AM
  2. Retrieving data from external wd 1tb drive that failed
    By witt734 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 06:27 PM
  3. Knoppix Programs
    By jeremy2300 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 07:49 PM
  4. What programs are on the Knoppix CD
    By hickorynut01 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2003, 05:33 PM
  5. What programs come with knoppix?
    By insomica in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 10:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4

$149.95



Datto S3P1000 4x 3.5

Datto S3P1000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 16GB DDR4

$139.95



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08