-
PCMCIA Wireless Network Cards for Older Laptops
I purchased an older laptop for messing with linux distro's its a Compaq Evo N400c, anyways i have a pcmcia card NETGEAR WG511 v2 and i have not been able to get it to work with Knoppix, or any linux distro for that matter. So what i was thinking is what PCMCIA Wireless network card would be best for Linux Distros. At this point im tired of messing with it..but i really want to have wireless access.. ... any suggestions would be great!..... I am a Linux Nubie!!
Thanks
Chris
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
The orinoco gold is considered a very good Linux card, although I've never actually seen one for sale at any local retailer. See the wireless networking section of the wiki for more information on this issue.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Thanks for the info, i will check it out......anything else?
-
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
I hate the electronic bay of thieves with a passion, would never deal with them. But that does not seem to be a universally shared view. If you want to take your chances with them that's your call, but I find it hard to believe that you can't get something that will work a lot cheaper elsewhere and with a lot better chance that you actually will get what you pay for.
Knoppix support for wireless isn't great though, and 5.0.1 is a real step backwards; a NIC I have that worked under 4.02 will not work under 5.0.1. Other cards I have have never worked under Knoppix, but I found that they work under other Live CD distros like Mandriva just fine and use chip sets that are well supported in Linux. This isn't a big deal for me; I hard wire in my notebook most of the time anyway. But I can see it could be an issue for others. See the wiki artile that I mentioned for an explination of manufacturers changing chipsets that makes your question very hard to answer perfectly. I would even consider taking the laptop to a local retailer and seeing if he will let you try wifi cards to be sure you have one that will work, or at least buy locally with a full return policy with no restocking fee if they will not let you try under Knoppix before you buy.
-
You wouldn't deal with Ebay? or This Specific seller?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
-
Ahh Got ya... i can't say much.. i use ebay all the time...
-
I picked up a netgear WG511T and it works in my new laptop off ebay for 30$ cdn. It's a ver 1 so it should be good.
-
another working card
Hello. With 5.01, the Linksys WPC11works.
IMF
Similar Threads
-
By gepetto in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-23-2006, 09:05 AM
-
By adamfl in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-22-2005, 10:05 AM
-
By rec9140 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-18-2005, 03:33 PM
-
By zippix in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-12-2004, 02:23 AM
-
By JockVSJock in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-15-2003, 02:16 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

256GB SATA III 2.5" SSD Solid State Drive - High-Speed Storage Upgrade
$75.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL SOLID STATE DRIVE
$189.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99