-
Junior Member
registered user
-
hi buddy, m facing the same problem, too....
someone please reply....
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
SImple fix, don't connect directly to the modem, see answer #4. Of course, it can be done without this, but I can't see any good reason to avoid this simple and inexpensive fix.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
same problem
I also get the message about the access concentrator not responding, but this is the first time I've got this after almost a year of using the knoppix cd with no problems.
I don't use a router.
Why would this suddenly be a problem?
Is this something my provider can correct?
I've got the 3.7 cd and the 5.0.1. Same problem with both.
I tried 'Repair my Connection' on WinXP but doesn't help.
-
@Harry
I've checked Answer#4 already.....but not of help.
Let me give u some more information:
--> I'm using a ADSL modem with router ; company: Huawei.
--> The error message is: "Access concentrator is not responding......." with giving possible reason as "It may already been running". I suspect it is already running, because PING test is successful. Also, if I put the IP directly in the address bar of Internet Browser, the website opens OK.
--> So from my similar experience with another flavour of Linux (also a Live CD), I know that this has to do with DNS server IP.
--> So, Please tell me how can I specify, manually, the two IPs of DNS servers. (I know the two IPs)
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Urvang
hi buddy, m facing the same problem, too.......

Originally Posted by
Urvang
--> I'm using a ADSL modem with router ; company: Huawei.
--> The error message is: "Access concentrator is not responding......." with giving possible reason as "It may already been running". I suspect it is already running, because PING test is successful. Also, if I put the IP directly in the address bar of Internet Browser, the website opens OK.
--> So from my similar experience with another flavour of Linux (also a Live CD), I know that this has to do with DNS server IP.
Well, if you have a router (even internal to the modem) and the other user does not, then you don't have the same problem.
I'm not at all clear on what you are doing to get this error, and what steps you have done up to whatever point you get the error.
To try to answer your question, if you know the setup information and want to do it manually then you can run netcardconfig and say no to the DHCP question. You could put in either of the 2 DNS servers you have when asked for the name server, or many routers let you give their local IP address as the name server and take care of that for you (they are going to have to process the packet either way). Yes, it does sound like a DNS issue, but I don't have enough info yet to know why. One speculation, and this is absolutely speculation, is that it's a problem with the DNS server conflicting with ip6 vs. ip4 packets. Rather than "fixing" this with a manual netcardconfig each time you boot, I would try to resolve it by reconfigurig the router so that it does an acceptable DHCP with Linux on boot, that way it's fixed once, works for any system and stays fixed.
If you post back, give an ifconfig output and as good of an explination of what you do all the way from booting the CD to the error. And if you have Knoppix on hard disk, try it from the CD; I don't try to fix Knoppix hard disk install problems.
-
Thanks for the suggestion of giving no for DHCP when running netcardconfig.
This worked. My connection now works after giving Default gateway, DNS servers etc. manually.
But here is the error condition I was getting for your reference only:
I'm not at all clear on what you are doing to get this error, and what steps you have done up to whatever point you get the error.
I was getting this error when I run 'pppoeconfig' at the command prompt or equivalently, run ADSL/PPPOE configuration from KDE menu.
Thank you again!!!
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Urvang
I was getting this error when I run 'pppoeconfig' at the command prompt or equivalently, run ADSL/PPPOE configuration from KDE menu.
When you have a router, there is no reason at all to run PPPoE software, under Linux or under Windows. The router takes care of PPPoE, you just talk normal TCP/IP ethernet packets to the router, no extra encapsulation is needed or wanted. Have you tried without PPPoE and just trying to use the network connection? DHCP should set up the connection for you just fine. If it doesn't, ifconfig should show you what is wrong, and you may be able to configure the router properly so that you don't ever need to do the manual netcardconfig. I just boot Knoppix and I'm on the Internet as soon as the boot finishes, no configuration at all.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Have you tried without PPPoE and just trying to use the network connection?
of course I have...... no one will try something unless something is problematic.
Here is my 'ifconfig' output after I manually configure using 'netcardconfig' saying no to DHCP.
Code:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:14:2A:BA:65:F3
inet addr:192.168.1.2 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.254.0
inet6 addr: fe80::214:2aff:feba:65f3/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:2235 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2079 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1708638 (1.6 MiB) TX bytes:446160 (435.7 KiB)
Interrupt:20 Base address:0xc400
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:14 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:14 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:700 (700.0 b) TX bytes:700 (700.0 b)
If it doesn't, ifconfig should show you what is wrong, and you may be able to configure the router properly so that you don't ever need to do the manual netcardconfig. I just boot Knoppix and I'm on the Internet as soon as the boot finishes, no configuration at all.
Please tell me if that is possible.
-
here is the output of 'ifconfig' before I do 'netcardconfig' to disable DHCP:
Code:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:14:2A:BA:65:F3
inet addr:192.168.1.2 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::214:2aff:feba:65f3/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:11 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:20 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:2479 (2.4 KiB) TX bytes:2791 (2.7 KiB)
Interrupt:20 Base address:0xc400
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:44 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:44 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:2200 (2.1 KiB) TX bytes:2200 (2.1 KiB)
Similar Threads
-
By varaahan in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-13-2005, 01:15 PM
-
By b0 in forum Networking
Replies: 11
Last Post: 09-25-2005, 03:49 PM
-
By bilzer in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-20-2004, 06:53 AM
-
By hernan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-28-2003, 08:02 AM
-
By voxxell99 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-25-2003, 01:08 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco Catalyst C9300-24P-A 24 Port Gigabit PoE Network Advantage Network Switch
$789.00

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$205.00

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch
$749.99

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL
$45.50

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00