Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Mounting and fstab problems in 5.0.1

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9

    Mounting and fstab problems in 5.0.1

    Hey all, recently I installed the 5.0.1 DVD to my hard drive using the "beginner" setting. I choose this because I've learned from my 3.8 and 3.9 systems that it's the only option which still includes support and auto-detection for stuff like USB dongles and external USB hard drives, or any USB device at that (I skipped 4.0 because it's beginner mode installer was bugged from the start).

    The installation flew by in a half hour, and I booted with no problems at all. The fun started when I put in a CD. It gave me that "open in a new window" option, but lo and behold, it wouldn't mount; there was a problem with /dev/hdc in the /etc/fstab file. I went into fstab and added the hdc option, and afterward it mounted correctly. Then when I put a second CD in, I got the same problem and had to edit fstab a second time. After the third CD I got sick and tired and just mounted it through the console.

    Now comes the USB flash drive. The system detected it, put an icon on my desktop and asked me to open it in the new window. It stalled and stopped, something about a "bad fs" and block device. I tried editing fstab for this, but I had no luck whatsoever.

    I'm sure others have noticed this too. What gives? I'm just curious to know, are there any ways to fix these at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Hey Rockologist,

    I feel your pain! I've had nothing but problems with fd, cd and usb since I started using KNOPPIX 3.1!

    There was a simple work around for a user, not root, to mount fd that I forget right now as I've not had to use fd0 in ages.

    I've had no luck with usb ever (or wirlessG for that matter), so don't ask.

    For cd I've always resorted to mounting from the root shell, no fstab. However, recently I discovered KwikDisk in the Kmenu under System/MoreApps.

    Sorry, that's all I can help you with right now. If you discover anything useful for cd, usb or even wirelessG, let us know!

    Regards,
    AJG

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9
    Allrighty, here's a small update:

    In 5.0.1's fstab, instead of adding /dev/hcd every time you put a CD in, I found that changing /dev/dvd to /dev/hcd will basically "trick" the system into looking for a mount point in the CD-ROM drive rather than on another hard disk. I've tested it with about ten CDs after changing that one line and they've all mounted correctly right away. I'm glad I got that out of the way.

    But the problem with USB devices is still as bad as ever. I've rewritten my fstab ten times over and it still won't mount it on the grounds of a "bad fs." I need some help!

    Oh, AJG, as for wirelessG, supposedly Knoppix 5 has support for wireless PCMCIA cards, so as soon as I get one for my notebook I'll give that a whirl!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    BTW, did you get my private reply regarding JFrame?

    Regards,
    AJG

Similar Threads

  1. HD Mounting problems in 5.0.1
    By stufoo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-19-2006, 02:40 AM
  2. problems with mounting a dvd iso
    By jehan60188 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2005, 09:46 PM
  3. NFS mounting problems!!!!
    By kuser123 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 11:49 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 02:04 PM
  5. [Fstab] Mounting errors: How to solve them??
    By Coume in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-24-2003, 06:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$169.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro

$240.00



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box picture

HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box

$299.00



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$189.99



Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD picture

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD

$179.99



HP ZBook Firefly 14

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC

$166.49



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00