-
Device Help
So I am new to Linux. I run Knoppix from my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1100. The only reason I have a Laptop is for portablility. When I am at school my laptop is more or less a desktop. As a result I have a decent number of USB devices:- An Optical Mouse
- An External DVD-RW
- An External Harddrive
- A flash drive
All of these drives plug into 2 4 port USB hubs. And I am just wondering if there is a tutorial somewhere that can help me figure out how to get the hardware to show up. Any help is greatly appreciated.
-
Senior Member
registered user
If your running from live cd, then most, if not all your harware should show up and work. If you've installed knoppix to hard disk, all bets are off.
To see what is seen on the usb system, open a shell and type :lsusb. You could also look in kinfocenter, (K->system->kinfocenter.)
Just because a device is seen , it doesn't mean that drivers for the device have been loaded, This is where it get's tricky as you need to know what driver the device needs, and figure out if it is or can be installed. If you know what particular driver should be used , open a shell and type lsmod | more, and see if the driver is in the list of loaded modules. If not try loading it manually using modprobe.
If this all seems more complicated than you want it to be, and if you do want to run a hard drive installed linux, I suggest you take a look at Ubuntu, which has better hardware support.
If you want nitty-gritty linux usb stuff: http://www.linux-usb.org/
-
Thanks for the advice. I am planning on putting Linux on my hard drive eventually. I am just running Live CD versions of the different main stream cores seeing which on I like the best until I can get my drive partioned. I plan on running dual boot so I can keep the few PC games I have.
Once again thanks, turns out it can see the USB ports but can only see the hubs not what is connected to them.
Similar Threads
-
By AugustQ in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-27-2006, 03:23 PM
-
By w0lfinator in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-23-2006, 12:59 AM
-
By sumithar in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-13-2005, 06:26 PM
-
By YuXeL in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-08-2003, 01:48 AM
-
By Sadara in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 03-16-2003, 07:12 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive
$349.99

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$58.00

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$339.00

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033
$125.00

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95